* [gnu.emacs.gnus] Forcing the sender address in Posting Styles
@ 2002-04-19 23:12 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-04-19 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Getting no nibbles on gnu.emacs.gnus.   Can someone here coach me on this:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1430 bytes --]

From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Forcing the sender address in Posting Styles
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:03:59 -0700

Probably get lynched for this, but I decided long ago to forget about
all the heaving and hawing regarding what is the right thing to do
with msgid addressing.  I just force it with a hack.

(defun message-make-fqdn ()
  "My  hacked message-id."
  "reader.newsguy.com")

This is fairly legitimate although not really recognized by newsguy,
and newsguy really has no machine named reader.  I don't care and I
think it is close enough.

But now I want to hack a different one for a different personality.
Yeah, I'm schizoid.  :-)  Really I want to use another legitimate
address of mine.  reader@dslextreme.com, and force the concomittant
msgid hack, reader.dslextreme.com.  I want to do this in the Group
Params of a group devoted to reader_dsl, where From: and a few other
things are already setup in Group Params.

((gcc-self . t)
 (posting-style
  (name "Harry Putnam")
  (address "<reader@dslextreme.com>")))

How can I stick the hack in there too?

* Re: [gnu.emacs.gnus] Forcing the sender address in Posting Styles
@ 2002-04-20  2:25 ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2002-04-20  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (defun message-make-fqdn ()
>   "My  hacked message-id."
>   "reader.newsguy.com")

> I want to do this in the Group Params of a group devoted to
> reader_dsl, where From: and a few other things are already setup in
> Group Params.
>
> ((gcc-self . t)
>  (posting-style
>   (name "Harry Putnam")
>   (address "<reader@dslextreme.com>")))
>

> How can I stick the hack in there too?

Not sure if this will work but you could try the (VARIABLE FORM) trick
described in the manual -- something like

(dummy (defun message-make-fqdn () "" "reader.newsguy.com"))

This should evaluate the form each time you enter the group.  I don't
know how to reset it back short of having such a parameter in each
group.  If you use topics you could add the default to the parameters
of the top-level topic.

Just a guess...

--
Nevin

* Re: [gnu.emacs.gnus] Forcing the sender address in Posting Styles
@ 2002-04-20  2:33   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-04-20  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> wrote:
> (dummy (defun message-make-fqdn () "" "reader.newsguy.com"))
>
> This should evaluate the form each time you enter the group.  I don't
> know how to reset it back short of having such a parameter in each
> group.

Use gnus-parameters.  But if Kai's suggestion in g.e.g didn't work for
some reason, this might fail too.  Either *should* work, though.

paul

* Re: [gnu.emacs.gnus] Forcing the sender address in Posting Styles
@ 2002-04-20  2:43     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-04-20  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> wrote:
>> (dummy (defun message-make-fqdn () "" "reader.newsguy.com"))
>>
>> This should evaluate the form each time you enter the group.  I don't
>> know how to reset it back short of having such a parameter in each
>> group.
>
> Use gnus-parameters.  But if Kai's suggestion in g.e.g didn't work for
> some reason, this might fail too.  Either *should* work, though.

I haven't seen anything from Kai.  Did it just happen.  Maybe not on
my server yet.  What is the advantage of gnus-parameters over G p for
this particular thing?  Or is that in Kai's post?

* Re: [gnu.emacs.gnus] Forcing the sender address in Posting Styles
@ 2002-04-20  2:48   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-04-20  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:

>> (defun message-make-fqdn ()
>>   "My  hacked message-id."
>>   "reader.newsguy.com")
>
>> I want to do this in the Group Params of a group devoted to
>> reader_dsl, where From: and a few other things are already setup in
>> Group Params.
>>
>> ((gcc-self . t)
>>  (posting-style
>>   (name "Harry Putnam")
>>   (address "<reader@dslextreme.com>")))
>>

>> How can I stick the hack in there too?
>
> Not sure if this will work but you could try the (VARIABLE FORM) trick
> described in the manual -- something like
>
> (dummy (defun message-make-fqdn () "" "reader.newsguy.com"))
>
> This should evaluate the form each time you enter the group.  I don't
> know how to reset it back short of having such a parameter in each
> group.  If you use topics you could add the default to the parameters
> of the top-level topic.

Oh, I always forget about that dummy technique.  I've used it before
too, but you point out a more serious flaw in my approach.  I hadn't
even considered it would need resetting.  But of course it would.  I
wonder if something could be tied to C-c C-c that would reset it?

Something like you might do in shell with an if/else

* Re: [gnu.emacs.gnus] Forcing the sender address in Posting Styles
@ 2002-04-22  8:19       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-22  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I haven't seen anything from Kai.  Did it just happen.  Maybe not on
> my server yet.  What is the advantage of gnus-parameters over G p for
> this particular thing?  Or is that in Kai's post?

My suggestion was to have message-make-fqdn return the value of a
variable, and to use group parameters to make that variable local to
the groups in question.

You might also need to add the variable to the list
gnus-newsgroup-variables.

kai
--
Silence is foo!