* New posted unread articles Marked as read automatically.
@ 2000-05-03 21:43 Shigeki Uno
From: Shigeki Uno @ 2000-05-03 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.
I've been subscribing several news groups and they're as follows:

  fj.editor.emacs               |   gnu.emacs.gnus
  fj.editor.xemacs              |   gnu.emacs.sources
* fj.os.linux                   |   gnu.emacs.announce
  fj.os.bsd.netbsd              | * gnu.emacs.bug
  fj.news.reader.gnus           |
* fj.fleamarket.comp            |
  fj.sources                    |
  fj.rec.sports.prowrestling    |
  ------------------------------+------------------------
  japan.sports.prowrestling
  japan.sports.baseball.giants
  japan.tv.midnight
  japan.tv.channel.news
  japan.handmade.comp

( * <-- problem news groups)

Some of them(* mark) _never show up_ in groups buffer even when new
articles are posted by someone. At first I didn't know what's going on
and had been thought that no articles were posted. But I happened to
check old news articles typing "C-u space" and found that articles
were _posted_. :-( they were _marked as read automatically_ regardless
of existence of unread articles, so I couldn't read new ones. This
happens every day and on cvs-5.8.5/5.8.6/5.8.7.

Is this a bug ? Or am I wrong ?

As you can see, I'm now running Gnus 5.8.7 cvs as of May 4th on emacs
20.6 now.

Any thought?

Thanks.
---
Shigeki Uno

* Re: New posted unread articles Marked as read automatically.
@ 2000-05-04 15:56 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 2000-05-04 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp> writes:

> Some of them(* mark) _never show up_ in groups buffer even when new
> articles are posted by someone. At first I didn't know what's going on
> and had been thought that no articles were posted. But I happened to
> check old news articles typing "C-u space" and found that articles
> were _posted_. :-( they were _marked as read automatically_ regardless
> of existence of unread articles, so I couldn't read new ones. This
> happens every day and on cvs-5.8.5/5.8.6/5.8.7.
>
> Is this a bug ? Or am I wrong ?

        I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, the same happened to me
a few days ago, and it turned out that I had bogus read ranges stored
somewhere in mi .newsrc.*. I had to `M-c'¹ on each of those groups to
solve the problem. I never found the source of the problem, though.

        Have you switched NNTP servers recently? Does this help?

Francisco

Footnotes:
¹  M-c is bounded to:
,---------- Function: gnus-group-clear-data ----------
| `gnus-group-clear-data' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
|   -- loaded from "gnus-group"
| (gnus-group-clear-data &optional ARG)
|
| Documentation:
| Clear all marks and read ranges from the current group.
`--------------------

* Re: New posted unread articles marked as read automatically.
@ 2000-05-05 18:29   ` Shigeki Uno
From: Shigeki Uno @ 2000-05-05 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francisco Solsona <flsc@hp.fciencias.unam.mx> writes:

[...]
>         I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, the same happened to me
> a few days ago, and it turned out that I had bogus read ranges stored
> somewhere in mi .newsrc.*. I had to `M-c'¹ on each of those groups to
> solve the problem. I never found the source of the problem, though.
>
>         Have you switched NNTP servers recently?

No.

>         Does this help?

A little bit. Articles counter show up fine in case of typing "M-c".
But, after, typing "g" doesn't make refreshing group buffer
perfectly. News groups in question *don't* show up and articles
counter (It's a matter of cource...) also doesn't show up.

I have to enter news groups in questin by typing "L", follow by "C-u
space" even now. X-<

Ok, I'll look into it again.

Thanks.

---