* What face is quoted text in a reply message?
@ 1999-12-30  5:59 Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-12-30  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to change color of quoted text in a 'reply and yank'
message buffer from red to something more pleasant. Which face should
I hack?

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who

* Re: What face is quoted text in a reply message?
@ 1999-12-30 13:09 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-30 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> I would like to change color of quoted text in a 'reply and yank'
> message buffer from red to something more pleasant. Which face should
> I hack?

M-x list-faces-display RET shows you all faces, and guessing that it
must be a message face will quickly direct you to
message-cited-text-face.

kai

* Re: What face is quoted text in a reply message?
@ 1999-12-30 15:08   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-12-30 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> > I would like to change color of quoted text in a 'reply and yank'
> > message buffer from red to something more pleasant. Which face should
> > I hack?
>
> M-x list-faces-display RET shows you all faces, and guessing that it
> must be a message face will quickly direct you to
> message-cited-text-face.

Wow, `list-faces-display' is really cool! Thanks!

On a side note, why don't faces come up in apropos search? I was
pretty sure that the face I was looking for started with `message',
and ended with `face', but doing "C-h, a" "message-*-face" only brings
`message-face-alist'...
--

@ 1999-12-30 16:24     ` David Kågedal
From: David Kågedal @ 1999-12-30 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > > I would like to change color of quoted text in a 'reply and yank'
> > > message buffer from red to something more pleasant. Which face should
> > > I hack?
> >
> > M-x list-faces-display RET shows you all faces, and guessing that it
> > must be a message face will quickly direct you to
> > message-cited-text-face.
>
> Wow, `list-faces-display' is really cool! Thanks!
>
> On a side note, why don't faces come up in apropos search? I was
> pretty sure that the face I was looking for started with `message',
> and ended with `face', but doing "C-h, a" "message-*-face" only brings
> `message-face-alist'...

Try "message-.*-face" instead.  Your regexp would match message-face,
message--face, message---face, message----face, ...

--
David Kågedal

* Re: What face is quoted text in a reply message?
@ 1999-12-30 16:55       ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-12-30 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

davidk@lysator.liu.se (David KЕgedal) writes:

> > On a side note, why don't faces come up in apropos search? I was
> > pretty sure that the face I was looking for started with `message',
> > and ended with `face', but doing "C-h, a" "message-*-face" only brings
> > `message-face-alist'...
>
> Try "message-.*-face" instead.  Your regexp would match message-face,
> message--face, message---face, message----face, ...

Oh, I see. But "message-.*-face" doesn't come up with anything at
all. (I guess it's time I finally learned my emacs regexps.)
--

@ 1999-12-30 17:11     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-12-30 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On a side note, why don't faces come up in apropos search? I was
> pretty sure that the face I was looking for started with `message',
> and ended with `face', but doing "C-h, a" "message-*-face" only
> brings `message-face-alist'...

Probably because faces are not variables.  In some cases, I've seen
variables declared to reference faces and those cases, you click on
the face name in hyper-apropos and the info on the face will be
displayed.  For example C-h a face shows, in the variables area,
gnus-face-0.  Click on that and I see a value of 'bold.  Click on bold
and I get a list of the font, color and other attributes of the face.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: What face is quoted text in a reply message?
@ 1999-12-30 17:31         ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1999-12-30 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> davidk@lysator.liu.se (David KЕgedal) writes:
>
> > > On a side note, why don't faces come up in apropos search? I was
> > > pretty sure that the face I was looking for started with `message',
> > > and ended with `face', but doing "C-h, a" "message-*-face" only brings
> > > `message-face-alist'...
> >
> > Try "message-.*-face" instead.  Your regexp would match message-face,
> > message--face, message---face, message----face, ...
>
> Oh, I see. But "message-.*-face" doesn't come up with anything at
> all. (I guess it's time I finally learned my emacs regexps.)

Don't use C-h a (apropos-command).  Use M-x apropos, which does pick
things up.

It was a brave man that ate the first oyster.

* Re: What face is quoted text in a reply message?
@ 1999-12-30 17:59           ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-12-30 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Damn, I've been binding C-h a to hyper-apropos for so long I'd forgot
it wasn't the default.  Sorry for any confusion.  Yes, M-x apropos
brings up faces along with everything else.
--

@ 1999-12-30 18:03           ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-12-30 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> > > Try "message-.*-face" instead.  Your regexp would match message-face,
> > > message--face, message---face, message----face, ...
> >
> > Oh, I see. But "message-.*-face" doesn't come up with anything at
> > all. (I guess it's time I finally learned my emacs regexps.)
>
> Don't use C-h a (apropos-command).  Use M-x apropos, which does pick
> things up.

Thanks, Alan. M-x apropos worked.