* The invulernable quimby server
@ 2002-03-22 22:21 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-03-22 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hate it when software gets recalcitrant.  We can't really hope for
our children or spouses to be humble and obediant, but at least let
our software, not give us back talk.

I don't think Gnus realizes that I'm the boss here.... hehe.  This
gnus behavior is paramount to a mutiny.

In the server buffer, I gently say `k' on an old quimby server.  `Nay',
says gnus; `You will NOT kill me, I am gnus quimby server and am
uneditable.  Go peddle your papers else where'.

Well, maybe there are still some quimby groups lurking about.  After a
carefull examination with `L' in group buffer, I see none.

What then, gives my gnus such audacity?  Must I put up with such
insolence?

* Re: The invulernable quimby server
@ 2002-03-22 22:30 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-03-22 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> In the server buffer, I gently say `k' on an old quimby server.  `Nay',
> says gnus; `You will NOT kill me, I am gnus quimby server and am
> uneditable.  Go peddle your papers else where'.

Is that server defined in gnus-secondary-select-methods or some such?
Such servers can't be killed from the server buffer, though the error
message probably ought to explain why.

paul

* Re: The invulernable quimby server
@ 2002-03-22 23:34   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-03-22 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> In the server buffer, I gently say `k' on an old quimby server.  `Nay',
>> says gnus; `You will NOT kill me, I am gnus quimby server and am
>> uneditable.  Go peddle your papers else where'.
>
> Is that server defined in gnus-secondary-select-methods or some such?
> Such servers can't be killed from the server buffer, though the error
> message probably ought to explain why.

No, that server came into being strictly by the `foreign' `B' in group
buffer technique. Ditto for the now exiting gmane server.

It would be nice if the error offered something, but I did know from
past experience that if groups for a server exist, you can't kill it.
But as I mentioned, I see no groups for quimby anymore at all.  Not
since larsi announced gmane to be online.