From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: all.SCORE for agent categories
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:05:42 -0800	[thread overview]

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch> writes:

>> Whoa.. hold up there a minute Robert.  You've used what for quite a
>> while?  Can you spell this out at length for us intellectually
>> challenged folks..
>
> OK I spell it out *at length* ;-)

Oh goody... help for the nitwits...

> * Some groups I only want to check if there comes something interesting
>   and manually select each article to download, so they are in the
>   category 'header' with predicate 'false'.  I don't use that often.
>
> * Then there's the great majority of groups where I want to watch new
>   threads coming up (using orphan scoring), increase the score of
>   interesting stuff (using a macro, don't ask ;-) and have the Agent
>   download all follow-up's. As this is the normal case for me I put
>   them in the 'default' category with predicate 'high'. Then I go
>   to the category buffer, do 's' to edit the download score rule
>   and put the symbol 'file' instead of 'nil' into it.  That's it!

Your setup is very similar to mine, with the true, false, and
`other' categories.  My `other' has been a category with predicate
high and scoring on subjects containing `Re:'

I've been experimenting with a fourth category, the subject of all my
noise on this thread, where I try to use regular scoring and an
all.SCORE approach.  I agree that the double scoring rules are now
mainly a historical thing and not as handy as regurlar scoring.

I think I see how to do this now. Thanks to Kai and your patient
postings.

Now the part I'm not supposed to ask......

"For god sakes man... post it! ...  They're human!"
(Bones ([Deforest Kelly] on star trek)

"Can you post (or mail privately) to help a retard?"
(Harry on ding)