* sticking with multiple Mail Sources?
@ 2000-05-02  2:18 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 2000-05-02  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

What happens when the first mail source on the list can't get to its mail?

I have two mail sources (POP), and it looks like Gnus runs into trouble if
one or the other of them get "stuck."  Recently, I watched gnus get stuck
in loop, looking for input from the POP service.  It had had accepted my
username, but it never got beyond that.  I think the server was stuck.

Does Gnus have code to check for timeouts of multiple mail sources?  It
does check for at least one mail source.  I've had it tell me that one of
them had timed out.

Jack

* Re: sticking with multiple Mail Sources?
@ 2000-05-02 18:44 ` Dan McGuirk
From: Dan McGuirk @ 2000-05-02 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <JackVinson@yahoo.com> writes:
> What happens when the first mail source on the list can't get to its mail?
>
> I have two mail sources (POP), and it looks like Gnus runs into trouble if
> one or the other of them get "stuck."  Recently, I watched gnus get stuck
> in loop, looking for input from the POP service.  It had had accepted my
> username, but it never got beyond that.  I think the server was stuck.
>
> Does Gnus have code to check for timeouts of multiple mail sources?  It
> does check for at least one mail source.  I've had it tell me that one of
> them had timed out.

I usually have pretty good luck just hitting C-g and having it move on
to the next mail/news source.

* Re: sticking with multiple Mail Sources?
@ 2000-05-03  1:06 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 2000-05-03  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <JackVinson@yahoo.com> writes:

[...]

> Does Gnus have code to check for timeouts of multiple mail sources?  It
> does check for at least one mail source.  I've had it tell me that one of
> them had timed out.

        I also have a pop mail source, and when there's a lot of
traffic, or the pop server is down, busy, etc. I had to C-g any attemp
to *-get-new-news. To mitigate this problem I advised `pop3-movemail'
which is what I use to get mail from my pop server, and the default
also, here's the code, from my .gnus:

,--------------------
| (defvar pop3-regular-delay 120
|   "Time in seconds that takes to usually open a connection to your
| pop server.")
|
| (defadvice pop3-movemail (around pop3-movemail-timeout activate)
|   "If connection to the pop server can be established relatively fast,
| then proceed, otherwise timeout and forget about this pop server, until next
| time anyway."
|   (with-timeout (pop3-regular-delay
|                  (message "Pop connection timeout!")
|                  nil)
|     ad-do-it))

...works for me. As is, tries to get your mail from each pop server
for 2 minutes (each) before being timeout.

It isn't perfect in a (big) number of ways, but you may use it as a
starting point and hack something more intelligent.

hth,
Francisco
--
Without facts, the decision cannot be made logically.  You must rely on
your human intuition.