* What has happened to my echo area?
@ 2002-04-23 15:33 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-04-23 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been noticing lately that things that used to be echoed in the echo
area no longer do so.  A few exampes:

Pressing C-u before entering a group
Pressing NUMBER before entering a group
Pressing C-u g in summary buffer to view a raw article

Probably lots of others.   Am I mistaken in thinking the above things
used to put a reasuring echo of key strokes in the echo area?

Is this being seen by others, or some local abberation (variable setting)

* Re: What has happened to my echo area?
@ 2002-04-23 15:38 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-04-23 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I've been noticing lately that things that used to be echoed in the echo
> area no longer do so.  A few exampes:
>
> Pressing C-u before entering a group
> Pressing NUMBER before entering a group
> Pressing C-u g in summary buffer to view a raw article

These still echo for me, but only if there is a delay between
keystrokes.  After the delay, all keystrokes so far are echoed,
further keystrokes are echoed as soon as they are typed, and the
entire key sequence stays in the echo area until the next keystroke.
If there is no delay, nothing gets echoed.

paul

* Re: What has happened to my echo area?
@ 2002-04-23 16:07   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-04-23 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> I've been noticing lately that things that used to be echoed in the echo
>> area no longer do so.  A few exampes:
>>
>> Pressing C-u before entering a group
>> Pressing NUMBER before entering a group
>> Pressing C-u g in summary buffer to view a raw article
>
> These still echo for me, but only if there is a delay between
> keystrokes.  After the delay, all keystrokes so far are echoed,
> further keystrokes are echoed as soon as they are typed, and the
> entire key sequence stays in the echo area until the next keystroke.
> If there is no delay, nothing gets echoed.

What on earth might have derailed it for me?

For example:  In this composition buffer, pressing C-h <waiting a few
seconds> nothing shows in the echo area.  Finish by pressing `m' so
I've pressed C-h m  and the expected buffer pops up but nothing ever
showed up in echo area.

I can't think of recent local changes that might cause this but I really
have no idea of where to start looking.   I can say that in another
emacs instance running next to this one that happens to have a perl script
in it, pressing C-h there shows C-h within a second in echo area.

So seems it may be related to gnus or to message-mode.

Both instances are started from the same init files.

* Re: What has happened to my echo area?
@ 2002-04-23 16:33     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-04-23 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What on earth might have derailed it for me?

Value of echo-keystrokes?

* Re: What has happened to my echo area?
@ 2002-04-23 16:34     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-04-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> For example:  In this composition buffer, pressing C-h <waiting a few
> seconds> nothing shows in the echo area.  Finish by pressing `m' so
> I've pressed C-h m  and the expected buffer pops up but nothing ever
> showed up in echo area.

Do you use BBDB, perchance?  Does it help to say (setq bbdb-electric-p nil)?

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: What has happened to my echo area?
@ 2002-04-23 16:55       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-04-23 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

es

>> For example:  In this composition buffer, pressing C-h <waiting a few
>> seconds> nothing shows in the echo area.  Finish by pressing `m' so
>> I've pressed C-h m  and the expected buffer pops up but nothing ever
>> showed up in echo area.
>
> Do you use BBDB, perchance?  Does it help to say (setq bbdb-electric-p nil)?

That might have been it.. If it comes up again I'll check that.  But
before seeing you and Karls posts, I restarted emacs.  (should have
done that before squawking here) and the problem has disappeared.

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

>> What on earth might have derailed it for me?
>
> Value of echo-keystrokes?

Thanks, I'll know what to check next time.  After a restart it says
`1'

Sorry for the line noise.  A restart seems to have cured my troubles.