* ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-28  8:16 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-28  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Someone told me that ssh was quite good at compressing things, so I
switched compression on and used the following select method:

(nntp "news"
       (nntp-address "copper.uio.no")
       (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
       (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
       (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
       (nntp-rlogin-parameters
        ("telnet" "news.uio.no" "nntp")))

And things go *way* faster over my 33.6k modem.  I use the Gnus Agent
to download, and this, like, halves the time it takes to download
stuff.

I found a bug in the nntp posting code, though.  Fix in 5.6.4.

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-28 16:43 ` Harry Putnam
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-28 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Someone told me that ssh was quite good at compressing things, so I
> switched compression on and used the following select method:
>
> (nntp "news"
>        (nntp-address "copper.uio.no")
>        (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
>        (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
>        (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
>        (nntp-rlogin-parameters
>         ("telnet" "news.uio.no" "nntp")))
>
> And things go *way* faster over my 33.6k modem.  I use the Gnus Agent
> to download, and this, like, halves the time it takes to download
> stuff.
>
> I found a bug in the nntp posting code, though.  Fix in 5.6.4.

Cool -- I was able to get info on 'rsh' but not 'ssh'.
What is that a reference to?  Searches for that file name 'ssh*' turn up
nothing on several ftp sites.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-28 17:14   ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1998-03-28 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

	http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/

--

Bud Rogers <budr@tanet.net>

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-28 19:17 ` Richard Hoskins
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Hoskins @ 1998-03-28 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Someone told me that ssh was quite good at compressing things, so I
> switched compression on and used the following select method:
>
> (nntp "news"
>        (nntp-address "copper.uio.no")
>        (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
>        (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
>        (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
>        (nntp-rlogin-parameters
>         ("telnet" "news.uio.no" "nntp")))

As root, I envoke ssh with:

# ssh -C -o "CompressionLevel 9" -L 119:news.iglou.com:119 iglou.com

and set the select method to (nntp "localhost").  ssh definitely
rulez.

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-29  8:04   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-29  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Hoskins <rh@iglou.com> writes:

> As root, I envoke ssh with:
>
> # ssh -C -o "CompressionLevel 9" -L 119:news.iglou.com:119 iglou.com
>
> and set the select method to (nntp "localhost").

Uhm...  I don't know why I didn't think of that...

Oh, now I know -- you have to tear the ssh connection down manually
after, uh, stuff has been downloaded, don't you?  I use diald to take
the connection up/down, so that I can pretend that I'm on a machine
that's connected to the net.

Hm...  Perhaps I can run ssh off of gnus-agent-plugged-hook, and then
tear it down from gnus-agent-unplugged-hook?  That should work, I think.

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-29 19:39     ` Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 1998-03-29 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> > As root, I envoke ssh with:
> > # ssh -C -o "CompressionLevel 9" -L 119:news.iglou.com:119 iglou.com
> > and set the select method to (nntp "localhost").

note that unless you're firewalled or something, anyone can
connect to that port on your machine and get to iglou.com,
pretending that they're coming from you.

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-29 20:12       ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1998-03-29 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com> writes:

> > > As root, I envoke ssh with:
> > > # ssh -C -o "CompressionLevel 9" -L 119:news.iglou.com:119 iglou.com
> > > and set the select method to (nntp "localhost").
>
> note that unless you're firewalled or something, anyone can
> connect to that port on your machine and get to iglou.com,
> pretending that they're coming from you.

Is that true?  I thought the whole point of ssh/sshd was allow secure
remote access through encryption, and host/user verification by encrypted
keys.

--

Bud Rogers <budr@tanet.net>

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-29 20:38         ` Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 1998-03-29 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Is that true?  I thought the whole point of ssh/sshd was allow secure
> remote access through encryption, and host/user verification by encrypted
> keys.

yes, but there's no access control to the forwarded port.
if port 119 on your machine is being forwarded somewhere,
all the traffic between you and the somewhere is encrypted
and compressed, etc, but ssh doesn't care who connects to
port 119 on your local machine.

forwarded connections (like the X forwarding) typically rely
on end-to-end user authentication (like xauth) to be secure.
however, nntp authentication tends to be weak, and often
relies on "source" IP address, which looks like it's you if
you're using forwarding.

it shouldn't be too hard to add to ssh a flag that says,
"don't accept connections at the forwarding port unless they
come from a particular IP address", but I don't see such a
thing (in 1.2.20 at least.  haven't looked at newer yet.)

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-29 21:36         ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1998-03-29 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

B> Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com> writes:
>> note that unless you're firewalled or something, anyone can connect
>> to that port on your machine and get to iglou.com, pretending that
>> they're coming from you.

B> Is that true?  I thought the whole point of ssh/sshd was allow
B> secure remote access through encryption, and host/user verification
B> by encrypted keys.

It is, but when you start redirecting ports like that, you are
subverting such protections for the sake of convenience.  It allows
you to point apps at your machine and have them automatically take
advantage of the secure ssh pipe, but it also allows other people to
point their apps at your machine....

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
Put your best foot forward.  Or just call in and say you're sick.

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-30 13:01           ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-03-30 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Alan> It is, but when you start redirecting ports like that, you are
 Alan> subverting such protections for the sake of convenience. It
 Alan> allows you to point apps at your machine and have them
 Alan> automatically take advantage of the secure ssh pipe, but it
 Alan> also allows other people to point their apps at your
 Alan> machine....

Hmm, perhaps there should be an option for ssh, to only accept
connects from localhost on forwarded ports. This covers most uses, and
gives you more security.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-30 20:05           ` Richard Hoskins
From: Richard Hoskins @ 1998-03-30 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com> writes:

> it shouldn't be too hard to add to ssh a flag that says,
> "don't accept connections at the forwarding port unless they
> come from a particular IP address", but I don't see such a
> thing (in 1.2.20 at least.  haven't looked at newer yet.)

This is on the TODO list distributed with ssh 1.2.22.

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-03-31 16:37 ` Francois Felix Ingrand
From: Francois Felix Ingrand @ 1998-03-31 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Someone told me that ssh was quite good at compressing things, so I
> switched compression on and used the following select method:
>
> (nntp "news"
>        (nntp-address "copper.uio.no")
>        (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
>        (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
>        (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
>        (nntp-rlogin-parameters
>         ("telnet" "news.uio.no" "nntp")))

by default, ssh does not compress... you need to invoke it with -C or
specify Compression yes in the config file.

> And things go *way* faster over my 33.6k modem.  I use the Gnus Agent
> to download, and this, like, halves the time it takes to download
> stuff.

You should thus get event a better thruput...

"Did you realize that 2001: Space Odyssey is 30 years old..." ICQ# 10143726
Professional: http://www.laas.fr/~felix         mailto:felix@laas.fr
Personal: http://worldserver.oleane.com/felix   mailto:felix@dial.oleane.com

* Re: ssh rulez
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-03-31 21:46 ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 1998-03-31 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

	I recal people asking about ssh dropping connections. I use
 fetchmail, and the following snippet from the man pages describes how
 to set up the connection so that ssh goes away 20 seconds after all
 the data has been transferred. Maybe this could be used? (I failed to
 see this documented in the ssh docs, though). This works for me, and
 the ssh connection does go away.

	manoj

       Here's an example configuration using ssh.  The queries go
       through an ssh connecting local port 1234 to port  110  on
       mailhost.net; the preconnect command sets up the ssh.

       poll mailhost.net via localhost port 1234 with pop3:
               preconnect "ssh -f -L 1234:mailhost.net:110
                          mailhost.net sleep 20 </dev/null >/dev/null";
--
 Even a hawk is an eagle among crows.

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-04-01 14:06   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-01 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francois Felix Ingrand <felix@dial.oleane.com> writes:

> by default, ssh does not compress... you need to invoke it with -C or
> specify Compression yes in the config file.

Yup.  The manual mentions this.

* Re: ssh rulez
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-04-15  3:50 ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-04-15  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Someone told me that ssh was quite good at compressing things, so I
> switched compression on and used the following select method:
>
> (nntp "news"
>        (nntp-address "copper.uio.no")
>        (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
>        (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
>        (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
>        (nntp-rlogin-parameters
>         ("telnet" "news.uio.no" "nntp")))

All that happens when I do something like this is that Gnus hangs.

If I point ssh at port 119 or 25 or any other that gives a welcome
message other than the standard telnet message I get this sort of
error:

$ ssh localhost -p 119
Bad remote protocol version identification: '200 typhoon.ncc.co.uk
InterNetNews server INN 1.7 16-Oct-1997 ready

Am I doing something wrong?

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-04-22 18:27   ` Eric Hendrickson
From: Eric Hendrickson @ 1998-04-22 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Gnus hangs for me also, when I try to open a similar server:

(nntp "news.tc.umn.edu"
      (nntp-address "birch.math.umn.edu")
      (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
      (nntp-rlogin-user-name "eric")
      (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
      (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
      (nntp-rlogin-parameters
       ("-x" "-C" "-o" "CompressionLevel" "9" "nc" "news.tc.umn.edu" "nntp")))

This is using nc (netcat) instead of telnet, but I tried it with
telnet just to make sure, and no luck there either.  Is there a way to
debug this?  I tried setting nntp-record-commands, but the *nntpd*
buffer is empty so it isn't even getting that far.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks, Eric

Eze Ogwuma <typhoon@dircon.co.uk> says: "I'm going to Paris and taking Eric"

--
Lensmen eat Jedi for breakfast.

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-04-26 11:44     ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-04-26 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: ssh rulez
@ 1998-07-12 19:07       ` Eric D. Hendrickson
From: Eric D. Hendrickson @ 1998-07-12 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

(Blast from the past here, but this is the first time I've had a
chance to look at my Gnus mail group in a while.)

Eze, thanks for your reply but I think what you (Kurt) are suggesting
is already taken into account by my solution below?  Doesn't work.

--
"No job too big; no fee too big!"
		-- Dr. Peter Venkman, "Ghost-busters"