* disappearing groups
@ 1997-03-18 20:57 Eric Hendrickson
From: Eric Hendrickson @ 1997-03-18 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have noticed this happen for a long time, but it just happened in a
very clear set of circumstances, hence this message.

After reading a few groups, such that the count in the *Groups* buffer
for each of those groups was ``0'', I did a ``sort'' by name on my
*Groups* buffer.  This resulted in all the groups that I had read
today, in which Gnus considered to have 0 unread articles, to be
marked ``U'' and disappear from my *Groups* buffer.  I had to ``u''
each of them to get them to reappear (still marked ``U'') and then u
each of them again (to remove the ``U'' mark).

Am I doing something wrong or stupid?  :)

Thanks,
		Eric
--
Eric Hendrickson                        E-Mail:  edh@staff.juno.com
D.E. Shaw & Co., L.P.                   Phone:   +1 617 621 4248

* Re: Disappearing groups
@ 1997-04-09  7:41 ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1997-04-09  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've had some scary reports on people losing most of the groups from
> .newsrc.eld, so it would be nice if you could do this test case.

Gnus v5.4.37

No drastic changes in .eld size with your test case here (Gnus didn't
consider the resorted buffer als changed, so I had to do some reading
first).

Jan

* Re: Disappearing groups
@ 1997-04-08 21:51 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-04-08 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've had some scary reports on people losing most of the groups from
> .newsrc.eld, so it would be nice if you could do this test case.
>
> 1)  Copy .newsrc.eld to a safe place
> 2)  Do some group sorting commands -- `G S a' etc.
> 3)  `s' to save the .newsrc.eld file
> 4)  Examine if the .newsrc.eld file has shrunk dramatically
> 5)  If this is the case, mail me the old .newsrc.eld file

  This worked fine for me, with quite a few newsgroups, and 12 or 15 mail
groups.

-Bill P.

* Disappearing groups
@ 1997-04-08 20:57 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen