* pgpmime "gotcha"
@ 2002-02-04 17:55 Chris Green
From: Chris Green @ 2002-02-04 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was bitten by this today so I figured I'd aleast document the fact
that things may not work the way you expect them to work.

I was forwarding an email to somone that I know and the data was
sensitive enough that I decided to use pgpmime.

Did a pgp/mime sign and didn't even notice that it was a "pgpmime sign
attachment".

Short story:

pgpmime part
"hi this is the email"

mimeattachment
[ this is what I'm sending you ]

C-c C-c and the msg part gets encrypted but the forwarded part
didn't.  Now I understand the pgpmime part treats each part as a
separate attachment but once I decided that part of the mail was
important enough to protect, it'd be nice to atleast have a warning on
the rest or apply it globablly to each mime part.

I take it pgpmime requires each part individually done rather than
make the message and encrypt the whole thing like the old days.

Hope this helps someone avoid getting burned badly.
--
Chris Green <cmg@uab.edu>
A good pun is its own reword.

* Re: pgpmime "gotcha"
@ 2002-02-04 20:25 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-02-04 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Chris Green <cmg@uab.edu> writes:

> Short story:
>
> pgpmime part
> "hi this is the email"
>
> mimeattachment
> [ this is what I'm sending you ]
>
> C-c C-c and the msg part gets encrypted but the forwarded part
> didn't.  Now I understand the pgpmime part treats each part as a
> separate attachment but once I decided that part of the mail was
> important enough to protect, it'd be nice to atleast have a warning on
> the rest or apply it globablly to each mime part.
>
> I take it pgpmime requires each part individually done rather than
> make the message and encrypt the whole thing like the old days.

Wasn't this fixed?  Are you using the latest version?

* Re: pgpmime "gotcha"
@ 2002-02-04 20:42   ` Chris Green
From: Chris Green @ 2002-02-04 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I take it pgpmime requires each part individually done rather than
>> make the message and encrypt the whole thing like the old days.
>
> Wasn't this fixed?  Are you using the latest version?

No, I wasn't. I just upgraded to latest and it works great ;-)

Sorry for the false alarm.
--
Chris Green <cmg@uab.edu>
A good pun is its own reword.