* Can't cite: "sc-cite-original" not found
@ 1999-04-06 23:55 Tor Norbye
From: Tor Norbye @ 1999-04-06 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently (this morning) started using pgnus to read my mail.
I'm using Pterodactyl 0.80 and nnimap 0.97. Everything is working
great, except for one problem:  when I reply to messages or
to newsgroup articles, I can't yank/cite the article. When I
do for example S W I get the minibuffer message
  "Symbol's function definition is void: sc-cite-original".

What am I doing wrong? I apologize if this is a stupid question
but I've grepped the FAQ and without this, it's really difficult
to use gnus as my primary mail client. I see some references
to this function in the .el files but I don't know elisp so I
don't know how to hack around it, and everything worked before
(I was using vanilla XEmacs 20.4 to read news). Do you need
to see my .emacs and .gnus files?

By the way, I _love_ the new color highlighting of the differently
included messages. Keep up the good work!

-- Tor

* Re: Can't cite: "sc-cite-original" not found
@ 1999-04-07  9:17 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-04-07  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tor Norbye <tor@eng.sun.com> writes:

  > I recently (this morning) started using pgnus to read my mail.
  > I'm using Pterodactyl 0.80 and nnimap 0.97. Everything is working
  > great, except for one problem:  when I reply to messages or
  > to newsgroup articles, I can't yank/cite the article. When I
  > do for example S W I get the minibuffer message
  >   "Symbol's function definition is void: sc-cite-original".

Hm.  Your Emacs is set up to use Supercite but you don't have
Supercite installed?  That's strange.  I don't know anything about
XEmacs, though.  Maybe Supercite is standard there?

The solution is to find out why Supercite is configured but not
installed.

A workaround would be to set message-cite-function to
message-cite-original or message-cite-original-without-signature.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* Re: Can't cite: "sc-cite-original" not found
@ 1999-04-07  9:31   ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1999-04-07  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes in ding@gnus.org:

> Tor Norbye <tor@eng.sun.com> writes:
>> I recently (this morning) started using pgnus to read my mail.
>> I'm using Pterodactyl 0.80 and nnimap 0.97. Everything is working
>> great, except for one problem:  when I reply to messages or
>> to newsgroup articles, I can't yank/cite the article. When I
>> do for example S W I get the minibuffer message
>> "Symbol's function definition is void: sc-cite-original".

> Hm.  Your Emacs is set up to use Supercite but you don't have
> Supercite installed?  That's strange.  I don't know anything about
> XEmacs, though.  Maybe Supercite is standard there?

Supercite is standard, but `sc-cite-original' isn't autoloaded in
XEmacs 20.4.  This has been fixed in XEmacs 21.

Put a `(require 'supercite)' somewhere before you use `sc-cite-original'.