From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Archiving Inbox
Date: 04 Aug 2000 10:55:39 -0700	[thread overview]

> On Fri, 04 Aug 2000, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
> >    ((expiry-target . "nnml:target")
> >      (expiry-wait . 21 ))
> >
> >    ((expiry-target . "nnml:target)
> >     (total-expire . t )
> >     (expiry-wait . 14 ))
>
> I haven't tried this, but these settings look good.  (That is, that's
> what I would have set if I wanted to try the feature.)  Is there a bug
> in Gnus?
>
> Has anybody tried this?

It also wasn't clear to me from info, what role the variable
`nnmail-expiry-target' plays in all this.  It can be set to a string
or function, yes but does that then apply to all expiry globally or
what?

That is, if one sets nnmail-expiry-target to "nnml:target"  will all
expiry then send messages to nnml:target?

Or is that var set only in Group params.

Far as I can see, this is the sum total available in `info'

      The normal action taken when expiring articles is to delete them.
   However, in some circumstances it might make more sense to move them to
   other groups instead of deleting them.  The `nnmail-expiry-target' (and
   the `expiry-target' group parameter) controls this.  The default value
   is `delete', but this can also be a string (which should be the name of
   the group the message should be moved to), or a function (which will be
   called in a buffer narrowed to the message in question, and with the
   name of the group being moved from as its parameter) which should
   return a target - either a group name or `delete'.

Just too ambiguous to tell what is needed.  Do both
`nnmail-expiry-target' and group param  `expiry-target' need to be set?

Unless there is a consensus that gnus info is only meant for elisp
progammers, then I  will submit further that the section:

   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The default value
   is `delete', but this can also be a string (which should be the name of
   the group the message should be moved to), or a function (which will be
   called in a buffer narrowed to the message in question, and with the
   name of the group being moved from as its parameter) which should
   return a target - either a group name or `delete'.

Can only make sense to someone conversant with elisp programming.  And
should be written in common parlance, or a simple example of what is
meant be included.  Those should be bare minimum requirements for gnus info.