* feature request: find cancel
@ 1997-05-16 18:00 Brian Edmonds
From: Brian Edmonds @ 1997-05-16 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

It just occurred to me it would be nice when selecting a canceled
article if the cancel message would be shown instead.  Configurable of
course with a *-display-cancel-if-canceled variable or somesuch.  A
simple check for a <cancel.orig-msg-id@whatnot> would make me happy.

On the subject of looking up postings by msgid, it would be nice if
those of us using nnspool could fall back on an nntp server (where
available of course) for this.  Using nnspool is faster for general
operation, in my experience, but it's pretty slow for msgid lookups.

Brian.

* Re: feature request: find cancel
@ 1997-05-16 22:42 ` Ed Donovan
From: Ed Donovan @ 1997-05-16 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Edmonds <edmonds@cs.ubc.ca> writes:
  (snip)
> On the subject of looking up postings by msgid, it would be nice if
> those of us using nnspool could fall back on an nntp server (where
> available of course) for this.  Using nnspool is faster for general
> operation, in my experience, but it's pretty slow for msgid lookups.

I think (setq gnus-refer-article-method '(nntp "newshost")) will do what
you want.  I think it kicks in for my mail groups, though.  I haven't
yet bothered trying to turn it off there.

--
Ed Donovan				edonovan@world.std.com

* Re: feature request: find cancel
@ 1997-05-17  2:43   ` Brian Edmonds
From: Brian Edmonds @ 1997-05-17  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Donovan <edonovan@world.std.com> writes:
>> On the subject of looking up postings by msgid, it would be nice if
>> those of us using nnspool could fall back on an nntp server
> I think (setq gnus-refer-article-method '(nntp "newshost")) will do
> what you want.

Mighty cool, thanks.  I love it when the good features sneak in while
I'm not looking. :)

Now I just have to turn the nntp server on my home news spool back on...

@ 1997-05-17  4:05 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-17  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Edmonds <edmonds@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> It just occurred to me it would be nice when selecting a canceled
> article if the cancel message would be shown instead.  Configurable of
> course with a *-display-cancel-if-canceled variable or somesuch.  A
> simple check for a <cancel.orig-msg-id@whatnot> would make me happy.

There is no set convention for what the Message-ID of the cancel
message is.  For instance, Gnus generates a brand new Message-ID which
bears no relation to the original one.

Spam cancellers use the $alz cancel convention, though.  But I don't
really think that looking at those cancel messages is all that
interesting.

* Re: feature request: find cancel
@ 1997-05-17 23:01   ` Brian Edmonds
From: Brian Edmonds @ 1997-05-17 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is no set convention for what the Message-ID of the cancel
> message is.

I know.

> Spam cancellers use the $alz cancel convention, though.  But I don't
> really think that looking at those cancel messages is all that
> interesting.

I do.  It's handy to be able to see who's cancelling what in the global
groups, as I cover some local hierachies where we get a number of the
same spams.  Simply knowing whether a cancel was $alz convention or not
can be handy.  Of course, if it would be a pain to code, I can still
look them up the old-fashioned way.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-19  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

edmonds@cs.ubc.ca (Brian Edmonds) writes:

> Simply knowing whether a cancel was $alz convention or not can be
> handy.  Of course, if it would be a pain to code, I can still look
> them up the old-fashioned way.

It's trivial to code, but I'm just not sure about the utility of
this.  Anybody else want to see a command that will let you see the
cancel message in 74% of the cases where a message is canceled between
the time you enter a group and the time you get around to reading it?