* broken nnfolder group
@ 1998-06-22  9:10 Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1998-06-22  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I have a strange problem:
I wanted to archive some messages and created a couple of nnfolder
groups, including a nnfolder:unsorted group. Later i process
marked articles in this group and moved them to other groups.
There *where* still articles left there but when I tried to enter
the group later Gnus sayd 'No unread news'.  C-u <RET> did the same.

When I moved a new article to the group it didn't change anything.

After stopping Gnus and reentering it the new article is now there,
but all the others are gone (They are not only not visible but erased
from the disk, and the file unsorted~ shows nothing but two linebreaks)

It happened in Gnus v5.6.9.
Any ideas?

Robert

* Re: broken nnfolder group
@ 1998-06-24  4:45 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-06-24  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@logon.ch> writes:

> I wanted to archive some messages and created a couple of nnfolder
> groups, including a nnfolder:unsorted group. Later i process
> marked articles in this group and moved them to other groups.
> There *where* still articles left there but when I tried to enter
> the group later Gnus sayd 'No unread news'.  C-u <RET> did the same.
>
> When I moved a new article to the group it didn't change anything.
>
> After stopping Gnus and reentering it the new article is now there,
> but all the others are gone (They are not only not visible but erased
> from the disk, and the file unsorted~ shows nothing but two linebreaks)

Hm.  Are you sure the missing articles were moved to somewhere else?

* Re: broken nnfolder group
@ 1998-06-24 12:33   ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1998-06-24 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Robert Epprecht <epprecht@logon.ch> writes:
> > ... Later I process
> > marked articles in this group and moved them to other groups.
> > There *where* still articles left there but when I tried to enter
> > the group later Gnus sayd 'No unread news'.  C-u <RET> did the same.
> >
> > When I moved a new article to the group it didn't change anything.
> >
> > After stopping Gnus and reentering it the new article is now there,
> > but all the others are gone (They are not only not visible but erased
> > from the disk, and the file unsorted~ shows nothing but two linebreaks)

> Hm.  Are you sure the missing articles were moved to somewhere else?

Yes, they where moved to nirvana ;-)

No, they where not moved, but *deleted*. I have searched them to find out
if I hadn't moved them by error, but they are gone. Even if I would have
deleted them this wouldn't explain the fact, that the new article, which
I moved into the group after the incident as a test, was not visible there
until I quit Gnus and restarted it.

Robert

* Re: broken nnfolder group
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-06-24 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@logon.ch> writes:

> No, they where not moved, but *deleted*. I have searched them to find out
> if I hadn't moved them by error, but they are gone. Even if I would have
> deleted them this wouldn't explain the fact, that the new article, which
> I moved into the group after the incident as a test, was not visible there
> until I quit Gnus and restarted it.

Well, Gnus generally doesn't know about articles until you request
Gnus query the backends for info.  Moving an article to a group will
not make Gnus aware that the group has a new article.

* Re: broken nnfolder group
@ 1998-06-27 19:56       ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1998-06-27 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Robert Epprecht <epprecht@logon.ch> writes:
>
> > No, they where not moved, but *deleted*. I have searched them to find out
> > if I hadn't moved them by error, but they are gone. Even if I would have
> > deleted them this wouldn't explain the fact, that the new article, which
> > I moved into the group after the incident as a test, was not visible there
> > until I quit Gnus and restarted it.

> Well, Gnus generally doesn't know about articles until you request
> Gnus query the backends for info.  Moving an article to a group will
> not make Gnus aware that the group has a new article.

hmm, I just tested: made a new nnfolder group, moved one article there,
entered the group (without doing 'g' or so), and the article *was* there.
This was *not* the case with the broken group...

But Lars, thanks a lot for your interest, but I think we have no chance
to find out now what exactly happened then. So dont't let us waste our
time unless it happes again... Or did someone else see something similar?

Robert