* nnultimate
@ 2000-08-17 13:36 Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 2000-08-17 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone know why nnultimate fails for

http://www.impreza-rs.com/cgi-bin/

* nnultimate
@ 1999-11-20 19:34 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-20 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've made some changes in the data file format for nnultimate
(~/News/ultimate/groups), so if you're using nnultimate, you must
delete that file before using the Gnus in cvs.

The bonus is that it now actually works.  All the time.

* nnultimate
@ 1999-11-10 15:38 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-10 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, now it works even more better (to quote Dick Dietrich), but
there's still some sort of glitch in the routine that does the
assignment from Gnus article numbers to Ultimate articles.  In
`nnultimate-retrieve-headers'.

I'm growing kinda tired of staring at that code, which I don't
understand myself more than half the time, so perhaps I should rewrite
it or take a different approach, or something.

Anyway.  It's in CVS.

* nnultimate.
@ 1999-11-09 15:52 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-09 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

(By the way, nnultimate is in CVS now, but the version there is not
supposed to actually work at all.  So don't try it.)

* Re: nnultimate
@ 1999-11-09 14:28   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-09 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > This doesn't quite fit in with the Gnus way of doing things, where we
> > only have groups (topics) and articles (articles), but no "group of
> > groups" thing.
>
> Gnus groks digests.  Can you make a digest of each topic?

I just made each forum a separate group, which seems to work ok, if
somewhat slowly.

But one can always stick that kind of thing under the Agent and let it
pre-download everything under the sun for easy, speedy reading of
these web forums.

* Re: nnultimate
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-09 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu> writes:

> > Er, each forum is most naturally mapped to a group, and each topic to
> > a thread.
>
> I kind of wish nnslashdot was like this, with the topics each
> appearing as threads in one newsgroup.

But there are so many comments with so many subjects following each
article.  I don't think that's very workable.

> In fact, most of the time all I want to read on slashdot are the
> main articles, not the discussions.

Mee too.  But for that, there's already many Slashdot headline
browsers, I think.

* Re: nnultimate
@ 1999-11-09 11:26 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-09 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This doesn't quite fit in with the Gnus way of doing things, where we
> only have groups (topics) and articles (articles), but no "group of
> groups" thing.

Gnus groks digests.  Can you make a digest of each topic?

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: nnultimate
@ 1999-11-09 11:15         ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1999-11-09 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:
>
> > Same here, and the few times I do want to look at the comments, I'm
> > horrified to think that people are actually happy with a web interface
> > for that kind of thing.  To me, it's *extremely* tedious compared to
> > gnus.
>
> They aren't, but you cannot have banner-ads in a newsgroup.

At least not yet.   Thank god.

--

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>

* Re: nnultimate
@ 1999-11-09  6:07       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1999-11-09  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-11-09  5:05     ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 1999-11-09  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-11-09  4:46   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 1999-11-09  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Er, each forum is most naturally mapped to a group, and each topic to
> a thread.

I kind of wish nnslashdot was like this, with the topics each
appearing as threads in one newsgroup.  In fact, most of the time all
I want to read on slashdot are the main articles, not the discussions.
Any chance nnslashdot can be made more convenient for this sort of
browsing, with it keeping track of which of the main articles I've
seen?  (I find reading nnslashdot in a web browser to be very slow.
I want to take advantage of the agent to do all the downloading at
once.)

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu

* Re: nnultimate
@ 1999-11-09  0:32 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-09  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The natural thing to do would be to "flatten" this hierarchy, so that
> nnultimate just gives out a list of topics (groups), regardless of
> forums.  But on Ultimates with lots of forums, this means that a `g'
> will do a whole bunch of web requests, which will be really slow.  So
> I think there will have to be a way to let users specify which forum
> subsets they are interested in...

Er, each forum is most naturally mapped to a group, and each topic to
a thread.  That does mean that entry to an nnultimate group will have
to do a bunch of web requests.  Well, for all the topics that have new
articles in them.  Might not be so bad...

* Re: nnultimate
@ 1999-11-09  0:26 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-09  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Anyway, could people post URLs to Ultimates around the world so that I
> can test on a bunch of them?

Ooh.

http://www.ultimatebb.com/home/sites.cgi

60000 sites, they say.

* nnultimate
@ 1999-11-09  0:07 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-09  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something more useful than nnslashdot (since there's very little of
interest to read in the Slashdot comments, really) is Ultimate
Bulletin Board.  This is a very popular web bulleting board software,
and is used on also sites where people seem to have something to
actually discuss.

I'm going to try to implement nnultimate in a smarter manner than
nnslashdot -- no regexps, but use `w3-parse-buffer' instead and use
the output from that to glean info from the web pages.

The Ultimate boards usually have this structure:

Ultimate
  Forum
    Topic
      Article