From: Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: run `J u' from Group Params
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:13:03 -0800	[thread overview]

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> You are correct.  However, in my opinion, you are exploiting a bug.
> The agent, as documented, should only accept groups on agentized
> servers.
>
> I'm not going to do anything about this right now.  I'm willing to see
> how the public opinion goes.

It seems kind of handy to me, at least at this point.  Allows one
to grab a few qroups when the spirit moves them without getting into
config hassles

> Well, that's the idea.  Marking a server as agentized changes the
> internals.  I'm still surprised that 'J u' functioned.

One would expect internal changes yes.  But what I see are quite
external.  It doesn't seem to me that something like an unread face
should change.  I don't think it does in other changes like nnfolder
to nnml or the like.

> As for the faces, you can customize gnus-summary-highlight.  All you
> need do is delete the three cons cells that reference the
> gnus*undownloaded-face.

Well yes, I know how to customize faces, and in fact have them
customized already.  What I sought to avoid was having to redo it.

The easy answer was that agentizing a server is no hassle but in fact
it is. Compared to just downloading on demand with no further config.

>> I think code can be inserted into G p that will fire off J u on the
>> group just before entry,,, but don't know how to write it.
>
> The following is completely untested.
>   (dummy-variable (gnus-agent-fetch-group)) or
>   (dummy-variable (gnus-agent-fetch-group "group.name"))

Oddly, neither of those does the job.  Neither does `J S' in summary
buffer  as you suggested. At least not without agentizing the server.

`J u' seems to be the lone ranger bug that works for my needs.
But if that works, there's got to be some way to call it from G p.

This has the earmarks of a bug that can become a nice feature.

An example might be for people in temporary situations or for any
reason where they might not want to setup everything for the long
haul.

Say you want to fool around with a big pile of messages from some
group.  Maybe do extensive searches or something.  Its easy to just
`J a' the group then `J u' the group.  No muss no fuss.  Instant
database.

Now to easily automate that for a short time, I thought G p might be
the place to do it.  Rather than redoing faces and who knows what
other configs.