From: Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com>
Subject: Re: run `J u' from Group Params
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:07:24 -0600	[thread overview]

Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>>
>>> I want to agentize a couple groups without going to the trouble of
>>> agentizing there server.  That is, just download with J u when I
>>> think about it.  Not have to go thru any bother agentizing the server.
>>
>> None of the agent command will function on a group whose server is not
>> agentized.
>
> I don't see that here.  Pressing the agent command J u on a group
> that has been agentized with J a (even though the server is not
> agentized seems to work just fine.

You are correct.  However, in my opinion, you are exploiting a bug.
The agent, as documented, should only accept groups on agentized
servers.

I'm not going to do anything about this right now.  I'm willing to see
how the public opinion goes.

> Assuming my catagories setup of cat Default = false
>                                 cat two     = true
>
>> As for actually agentizing the server, I'm don't understand why you
>> think that it is such a bother.  All that you need do is '^' in the
>> group buffer to open the server buffer then a 'J a' on the appropriate
>> server.
>
> Things happen to the groups when you do that.  For example:
> The face used to display all new messages in groups in
> category default (predicate = false) changes from default to
> gnus-summary-normal-uncached-face. Now one has to fiddle with
> faces to get back to what you've come to expect when non-agentized.
> Not sure what else may change, and didn't really want to find out.

Well, that's the idea.  Marking a server as agentized changes the
internals.  I'm still surprised that 'J u' functioned.

As for the faces, you can customize gnus-summary-highlight.  All you
need do is delete the three cons cells that reference the
gnus*undownloaded-face.

>>> I wondered if I could run the J u command from Group params some how
>>> so that when ever I press <RET> on the group a hook runs J u
>>> just before I enter.
>>
>> So the bother might not be on agentizing the server but in setting up
>> the agent group so that 'J u' will automatically fetch the desired
>> articles.  Well, that is a bit of a bother.  At the very least, you'll
>> need to set the agent predicate for the default group to true.  That
>> way, 'J u' will know to fetch all of the group's articles.
>
> That is exactly what I do.  Seems less troublesome than messing with
> faces and what ever else changes when a server is agentized.
>
> I think code can be inserted into G p that will fire off J u on the
> group just before entry,,, but don't know how to write it.

The following is completely untested.
  (dummy-variable (gnus-agent-fetch-group)) or
  (dummy-variable (gnus-agent-fetch-group "group.name"))

What you may not have noticed is that a new command has been added to
the summary buffer.  You can now execute 'J S' to do the same thing as
'J u' in the group buffer.

Kevin