* deja interface
@ 2000-03-03 19:04 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-03-03 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm getting better at using `G w'...   what a nice tool.  Reading
Deja.com with a hardcore newsreader is the way to go.

I noticed a recent attempt by one author to supply something vaguely
similar in a text based (perl) interface to Deja.com.

http://wildspark.com/asher/ija/

Its kind of cool but suffers from the same basic combersom setup as
Deja itself.  And allows no way to further refine a search like
limiting or regexp search of displayed messages like gnus does.

You have to do it all with the search string.

One cool thing it does have is something that would make a nice
addition to gnus.  Its "a" command, which fetches an "author profile".

This seems to just consist of the number of posts but still it is fun
to see how prolific an author is.

Such things as:

a Kai Grossjohann
  5298 by Kai Grossjohann

a Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
  5834 by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

 (Can't vouch for the accuracy)

Shows what busy people some of our favorite posters are.

Can we have an "a" command? .... yeah yeah

* Re: deja interface
@ 2000-04-20 20:08 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> One cool thing it does have is something that would make a nice
> addition to gnus.  Its "a" command, which fetches an "author profile".

[...]

> Can we have an "a" command? .... yeah yeah

I think that's kinda beyond the scope of a newsreader.

* Re: deja interface
@ 2000-04-20 21:24   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-20 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > One cool thing it does have is something that would make a nice
> > addition to gnus.  Its "a" command, which fetches an "author profile".
> [...]
> I think that's kinda beyond the scope of a newsreader.

I'm not sure what we're talking about (I don't have Harry's article
anymore), but if we're talking about the Deja.com author profile, then
it's just a list of groups with # of messages, and upon entering a
group, you get a list of messages.

It has as least as much to do with newsreaders as nneething :-)

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: deja interface
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm not sure what we're talking about (I don't have Harry's article
> anymore), but if we're talking about the Deja.com author profile,

We are.

> then it's just a list of groups with # of messages, and upon
> entering a group, you get a list of messages.
>
> It has as least as much to do with newsreaders as nneething :-)

Exactly.  :-)

* Re: deja interface
@ 2000-04-20 22:43 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-04-20 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm getting better at using `G w'...   what a nice tool.  Reading
> Deja.com with a hardcore newsreader is the way to go.
>
> I noticed a recent attempt by one author to supply something vaguely
> similar in a text based (perl) interface to Deja.com.
>
> http://wildspark.com/asher/ija/
>
> Its kind of cool but suffers from the same basic combersom setup as
> Deja itself.  And allows no way to further refine a search like
> limiting or regexp search of displayed messages like gnus does.
>
> You have to do it all with the search string.
>
> One cool thing it does have is something that would make a nice
> addition to gnus.  Its "a" command, which fetches an "author profile".
>
> This seems to just consist of the number of posts but still it is fun
> to see how prolific an author is.
>
> Such things as:
>
> a Kai Grossjohann
>   5298 by Kai Grossjohann
>
> a Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
>   5834 by Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
>
>  (Can't vouch for the accuracy)
>
> Shows what busy people some of our favorite posters are.
>
> Can we have an "a" command? .... yeah yeah

> > One cool thing it does have is something that would make a nice
> > addition to gnus.  Its "a" command, which fetches an "author profile".
>
> [...]
>
> > Can we have an "a" command? .... yeah yeah
>
> I think that's kinda beyond the scope of a newsreader.

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
> >
> > > One cool thing it does have is something that would make a nice
> > > addition to gnus.  Its "a" command, which fetches an "author profile".
> > [...]
> > I think that's kinda beyond the scope of a newsreader.
>
> I'm not sure what we're talking about (I don't have Harry's article
> anymore), but if we're talking about the Deja.com author profile, then
> it's just a list of groups with # of messages, and upon entering a
> group, you get a list of messages.
>
> It has as least as much to do with newsreaders as nneething :-)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > I'm not sure what we're talking about (I don't have Harry's article
> > anymore), but if we're talking about the Deja.com author profile,
>
> We are.
>
> > then it's just a list of groups with # of messages, and upon
> > entering a group, you get a list of messages.
> >
> > It has as least as much to do with newsreaders as nneething :-)
>
> Exactly.  :-)

"nneething" or `B i' in summary buffer
(`gnus-summary-import-article'), or "nndir", "nndoc" or fetching a FAQ from
newsgroups... or having a plethora of mail functions and backends.

Besides think of how ultra .. like ... beyond clever it would be to
incorporate the "a" command into gnus as "aneething" ... he he.

* Re: deja interface
@ 2000-04-20 23:27   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "nneething" or `B i' in summary buffer
> (`gnus-summary-import-article'), or "nndir", "nndoc" or fetching a FAQ from
> newsgroups... or having a plethora of mail functions and backends.

Yes.  But if we're going to import more HTML stuff into Gnus, it
should be stuff that's worth having, since it's a lot of work.  (Since
it changes every three seconds.)

* Re: deja interface
@ 2000-04-21  0:08     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-04-21  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > "nneething" or `B i' in summary buffer
> > (`gnus-summary-import-article'), or "nndir", "nndoc" or fetching a FAQ from
> > newsgroups... or having a plethora of mail functions and backends.
>
> Yes.  But if we're going to import more HTML stuff into Gnus, it
> should be stuff that's worth having, since it's a lot of work.  (Since
> it changes every three seconds.)

I see... I agree, something silly shouldn't stack up very well against real
work.  Didn't realize it would be difficult.

* Re: deja interface
@ 2000-04-21  7:07       ` Pavel Janik ml.
From: Pavel Janik ml. @ 2000-04-21  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
   Date: 20 Apr 2000 17:08:14 -0700

Hi,

   > > Yes.  But if we're going to import more HTML stuff into Gnus, it
   > > should be stuff that's worth having, since it's a lot of work.  (Since
   > > it changes every three seconds.)
   >
   > I see... I agree, something silly shouldn't stack up very well against real
   > work.  Didn't realize it would be difficult.

I think that is it worthy to look at the syntactic parser and lexical analyzer
which was just announced in gnu.emacs.sources... It can help us a lot.
--
Pavel Janík ml.
Pavel.Janik@inet.cz