* Re: posting via weirdo backends
@ 1997-04-22 21:02 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1997-04-22 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you have set up `message-send-method-alist' to send in your way,
> it'll be called in your groups.  Or do I misunderstand what you want
> to do?

Message-send-method-alist was the hard part. But now still need a way to
control how the message buffer is initially set up when a user tries to
followup or post in one of my groups. Presumably i will invent a header that
my message-send-method-alist element will look for when the user actually
sends his post, but at some point i have to put that header in the buffer.

If a user hits `f' or `a' in a newsgroup some function runs that puts an
appropriate Newsgroups: header. When a user hits `f' in one of my backend's
groups i need to set up the message buffer with nice headers that indicate
what group it should be sent to. Since it's not a newsgroup and not an e-mail
address i'll presumably invent my own header and parse it when sending.

greg

* Re: posting via weirdo backends
@ 1997-04-24 12:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-24 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

gsstark@mit.edu (Greg Stark) writes:

> If a user hits `f' or `a' in a newsgroup some function runs that puts an
> appropriate Newsgroups: header. When a user hits `f' in one of my backend's
> groups i need to set up the message buffer with nice headers that indicate
> what group it should be sent to. Since it's not a newsgroup and not an e-mail
> address i'll presumably invent my own header and parse it when sending.

Couldn't you use `message-setup-hook' for this?

* Re: posting via weirdo backends
@ 1997-04-19  2:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-19  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-04-17 23:52 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1997-04-17 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ok; I've now added `message-send-method-alist'.
Great, thanks.

@ 1997-04-15 21:43 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-15 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-04-14 14:46 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1997-04-14 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

So a while back i wrote a backend but i never got around to making posting
work right. To post i need gnus/message to call a backend method, it has
nothing to do with real mail or news. (well almost nothing, but one thing at a
time.) I think i've figured out what's missing and why i've had trouble making
sense of this.

What's missing is backend support in message.el. Message.el thinks there's
news and there's mail and that's it. Really the following bit of code ought to
look at an alist of message types that my backend can extend. Then i can just
teach it about my predicate, and my posting function.

(this is around line 1708)
    (message "Sending...")
    (when (and (or (not (message-news-p))
		   (and (or (not (memq 'news message-sent-message-via))
			    (y-or-n-p
			     "Already sent message via news; resend? "))
			(funcall message-send-news-function arg)))
	       (or (not (message-mail-p))
		   (and (or (not (memq 'mail message-sent-message-via))
			    (y-or-n-p
			     "Already sent message via mail; resend? "))
			(message-send-mail arg))))

Also, i'll need a way to tell gnus how to set up the post buffer. I want to be
allowed to have nnchoke-request-type return any symbol, and have gnus provide
an alist (with mail and news already present) to which i can add my type and
the function that is basically similar to the old nnchoke-request-post-buffer.
(I think this is better than bringing that back though.) Mail and news would
of course be present in this alist already. This has the nice effect of
letting me replace either function if i wanted to. hm, it might be restrictive
to have only one type dictate how to set up the buffer, but it would serve my
needs.

greg