* Can't exit nnimap group
@ 2007-09-11  7:39 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-11  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi there,

If I enter a nnimap group and then disconnect the network (it happens on
wireless network), I won't be able to exit that group at all.

It looks like a bug.

HTH,
--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

=>             "(require 'cl) considered harmful" considered harmful
=>           http://dto.freeshell.org/blog/blog-2007-09-07-2323.html

* Re: Can't exit nnimap group
@ 2007-09-11  8:43 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-09-11  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> If I enter a nnimap group and then disconnect the network (it happens on
> wireless network), I won't be able to exit that group at all.

> It looks like a bug.

I neither am a nnimap user nor am skilled with nnimap, but I
guess it tries to open a connection to the server, fails, tries
to close a connection because the server doesn't run, and hangs.
If it is right, this new feature in the Gnus trunk might do the
trick.

(info "(gnus)IMAP")
,----
|`nnimap-logout-timeout'
|  There is a case where a connection to a IMAP server is unable to
|  close, when connecting to the server via a certain kind of network,
|  e.g. VPN.  In that case, it will be observed that a connection
|  between Emacs and the local network looks alive even if the server
|  has closed a connection for some reason (typically, a timeout).
|  Consequently, Emacs continues waiting for a response from the
|  server for the `LOGOUT' command that Emacs sent, or hangs in other
|  words.  If you are in such a network, setting this variable to a
|  number of seconds will be helpful.  If it is set, a hung
|  connection will be closed forcibly, after this number of seconds
|  from the time Emacs sends the `LOGOUT' command.  It should not be
|  too small value but too large value will be inconvenient too.
|  Perhaps the value 1.0 will be a good candidate but it might be
|  worth trying some other values.
|
|  Example server specification:
|
|       (nnimap "mail.server.com"
|               (nnimap-logout-timeout 1.0))
`----

See also the thread:
http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/thread=64906

* Re: Can't exit nnimap group
@ 2007-09-18 19:43   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2007-09-11 09:43 +0100, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> I neither am a nnimap user nor am skilled with nnimap, but I
> guess it tries to open a connection to the server, fails, tries
> to close a connection because the server doesn't run, and hangs.
> If it is right, this new feature in the Gnus trunk might do the
> trick.

Thanks.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

                                                 I use GNU Emacs  <=
                              http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/  <=