* Screen shots, but no arrows
@ 1997-06-10 17:18 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-06-10 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to add arrows pointing to stuff, as well as text that say what
the stuff is.  Like

  This is the letter n -------------->  n

Well, perhaps not in that great a detail.

Using picture mode in LaTeX is an option, but it's way too much work
figuring out the slopes of all those vectors and the positions of all
those text snippets.  Wussywig is where it's at for drawing.

What program do people use for this kind of thing?  Take some random
graphic, add arrows and text and stuff, and generate a PS file?

I could use Framemaker, I guess...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Screen shots, but no arrows
@ 1997-06-10 18:35 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-06-10 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> I want to add arrows pointing to stuff, as well as text that say what
> the stuff is.  Like
>
>   This is the letter n -------------->  n
>
> Well, perhaps not in that great a detail.
>
> Using picture mode in LaTeX is an option, but it's way too much work
> figuring out the slopes of all those vectors and the positions of all
> those text snippets.  Wussywig is where it's at for drawing.
>
> What program do people use for this kind of thing?  Take some random
> graphic, add arrows and text and stuff, and generate a PS file?
>
> I could use Framemaker, I guess...

  The GIMP might do what you want.
http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~gimp/gimp.html

-Bill P.

* Re: Screen shots, but no arrows
@ 1997-06-10 20:44 ` Aaron M. Ucko
From: Aaron M. Ucko @ 1997-06-10 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> What program do people use for this kind of thing?  Take some random
> graphic, add arrows and text and stuff, and generate a PS file?

xfig and tgif are both useful for this sort of thing.

--
Aaron M. Ucko (amu@mit.edu) | For Geek Code, PGP public key, and other info,
finger amu@monk.mit.edu. | "Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.

* Re: Screen shots, but no arrows
@ 1997-06-11  1:17   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-06-11  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

amu@mit.edu (Aaron M. Ucko) writes:

> > What program do people use for this kind of thing?  Take some random
> > graphic, add arrows and text and stuff, and generate a PS file?
>
> xfig and tgif are both useful for this sort of thing.

xfig seems to be just what I need.  Thanks!