* why does "B m" now cause mail to be fetched?
@ 1997-05-22  6:11 Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1997-05-22  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just noticed (from paying attention to the messages) that between
5.4.15 and 5.4.53 [yeah, big jump :-)] Something got added to make "B
m" cause movemail to fetch new mail.  A quick look in the ChangeLog
doesn't really say... and all I really want to do is turn it off :-)

Quick pointers, before I start setting breakpoints to trap this one?

* Re: why does "B m" now cause mail to be fetched?
@ 1997-05-22 11:03 ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1997-05-22 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> I just noticed (from paying attention to the messages) that between
> 5.4.15 and 5.4.53 [yeah, big jump :-)] Something got added to make "B
> m" cause movemail to fetch new mail.  A quick look in the ChangeLog
> doesn't really say... and all I really want to do is turn it off :-)

I've also noticed this, and would also like to turn it off. I think I
first saw it somewhere in the 40s. No pointers as to what's causing
it, though.

Hans

* Re: why does "B m" now cause mail to be fetched?
@ 1997-05-24  4:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-24  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> I just noticed (from paying attention to the messages) that between
> 5.4.15 and 5.4.53 [yeah, big jump :-)] Something got added to make "B
> m" cause movemail to fetch new mail.  A quick look in the ChangeLog
> doesn't really say... and all I really want to do is turn it off :-)

This isn't supposed to happen.  Hm.  I've fixed some bugs in nnfolder
recentlyish, perhaps I did something odd there.  Do you use nnfolder?

* Re: why does "B m" now cause mail to be fetched?
@ 1997-05-24 19:26   ` Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1997-05-24 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This isn't supposed to happen.  Hm.  I've fixed some bugs in nnfolder
> recentlyish, perhaps I did something odd there.  Do you use nnfolder?

I'm pretty sure there are no subscribed nnfolder groups in that one; I
use nnml, and it was moving from one nnml group to another (from
nnml:mail.misc to nnml:mail.spam, in that case :-) when it
happenned. Ok, I'll set some tracebacks and trigger it and see what I
can find...

* Re: why does "B m" now cause mail to be fetched?
@ 1997-05-31 16:52   ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1997-05-31 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:
>
> > I just noticed (from paying attention to the messages) that between
> > 5.4.15 and 5.4.53 [yeah, big jump :-)] Something got added to make "B
> > m" cause movemail to fetch new mail.  A quick look in the ChangeLog
> > doesn't really say... and all I really want to do is turn it off :-)
>
> This isn't supposed to happen.  Hm.  I've fixed some bugs in nnfolder
> recentlyish, perhaps I did something odd there.  Do you use nnfolder?

I see this with only nnml groups.  Although maybe it's now been fixed?
It's a little disconcerting.  I notice that it also updates the message
count in the group buffer on these operations.  Maybe you changed
something to activate the destination group after a move to get the
right count?  And activating a mail group is fetching the new mail.

* Re: why does "B m" now cause mail to be fetched?
@ 1997-06-02 14:06     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-06-02 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

DM> I see this with only nnml groups.  Although maybe it's now been
DM> fixed?  It's a little disconcerting.  I notice that it also
DM> updates the message count in the group buffer on these operations.
DM> Maybe you changed something to activate the destination group
DM> after a move to get the right count?  And activating a mail group
DM> is fetching the new mail.

I've been unable to repeat this with my nnml groups, though I rarely
if ever move to a group that gets mail from the spool (typically it's
the other way, the spool goes into my "temporary" groups that have
total-expire turned on and I B-m to groups in which I want to save
things.  Ironically, I'd almost want this behavior because on some
occasions that I can't seem to repeat anymore, when I do a B-m of an
article with a tick mark, the tick gets lost unless I do a M-g on the
group (or a g in the group buffer) prior to entering the group.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: why does "B m" now cause mail to be fetched?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-06-06  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu> writes:

> I see this with only nnml groups.  Although maybe it's now been fixed?

It was fixed for Gnus 5.4.56.