* Cancelling articles on remote servers..
@ 1997-04-16 13:26 Andrew `Flognat' Eskilsson
From: Andrew `Flognat' Eskilsson @ 1997-04-16 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

My newsserver isn't carrying some interesting newsgroups, so I read
them as foreign newsgroups, and well, now I want to cancel one of my
messages on that group.. uhm.. pressing C, and then answering yes poof
off I go..

But but.. the *Message* buffer says:

Canceling your article...
441 No valid newsgroups in "java.workshop"
Couldn't send message via news: 441 No valid newsgroups in: "java.workshop"
Canceling your article...done

Hmm this is almost a bugreport, shouldn't gnus complain when it gets
the error from the newsserver?

Hmm haven't I seen this before.. (starts browsing the archive) hmm
nope.. any recommended solution.. ehm quick ;-)

	/Andy

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: Cancelling articles on remote servers..
@ 1997-04-16 15:01 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-04-16 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Okee browsed the docs some more, and found the part about
gnus-post-method, this solves the basic problem..

Maybe it would be possible to prefix the cancel and supersede command
the same way as C-c C-c does?

One problem still remains, gnus shouldn't say 'Canceling your
article...done' if an error is issued?

	/Andy

--

@ 1997-04-19  1:49   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-19  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> Okee browsed the docs some more, and found the part about
> gnus-post-method, this solves the basic problem..
>
> Maybe it would be possible to prefix the cancel and supersede command
> the same way as C-c C-c does?

I've now added this to the todo list, although the prefix is already
taken.

> One problem still remains, gnus shouldn't say 'Canceling your
> article...done' if an error is issued?

Yup.  Fix in Gnus v5.4.46.

* Re: Cancelling articles on remote servers..
@ 1997-04-22 16:38     ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-04-22 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

| > One problem still remains, gnus shouldn't say 'Canceling your
| > article...done' if an error is issued?
|
| Yup.  Fix in Gnus v5.4.46.

Hmm couldn't gnus simply ask for another posting method if an error
during psting is issued? I mean.. hereI sit with my article that will
save the world post it.. meep posting denied.. ok guess I can set the
nntp-posting-method variable but it is much more nifty with a small
gooey to it :-) Or as I reca now,I can try to repost with prefix.  but
you know,lazy me.

	/Andy

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-24 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> Hmm couldn't gnus simply ask for another posting method if an error
> during psting is issued?

I don't want programs to be too intelligent.  There may be perfectly
good reasons why the nntp server is denying your message, so you
should be told the reason, and then decide yourself whether to change
the article or post via a different server.