* Moving News and Mail
@ 2000-01-17  2:43 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-01-17  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Group,

 I need a little advice and a kind of general subject.

I want to move Gnus' News and Mail directories to a new home on a
different disk and in web space.  There to setup some "webglimpse"
tools and have full searching in several ways.

I already know how to setup the webglimpse tools etc but what worries
me is the part of setting new directories for News and Mail..  I
realize there are variables that control where gnus writes its files
etc.

But what will happen when I redo those Variables and start writing to
the new directories containing thousands of old messages.   Will gnus
just continue without a stutter or will there be a sort of start over
of some kind?  Is there some kind of proceedure I need to follow?

Webglimpse will be writing files in the gnus directories too.
.glimpse* files and other control files etc.  They can be contained
inside a subdirectory for neatness, but will these directories bother
the unborn Oort inside of pgnus?

* Re: Moving News and Mail
@ 2000-01-18 17:51 ` Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 2000-01-18 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 16 Jan 2000 18:43:02 -0800 Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
> But what will happen when I redo those Variables and start writing to
> the new directories containing thousands of old messages.   Will gnus
> just continue without a stutter or will there be a sort of start over
> of some kind?  Is there some kind of proceedure I need to follow?

I've just moved all my old mail directories to a new location, changed the
required variables (nnfolder-directory and nnml-directory), and copied the
.newsrc.eld file to my new home directory, and it all worked without problem.

> Webglimpse will be writing files in the gnus directories too.
> .glimpse* files and other control files etc.  They can be contained
> inside a subdirectory for neatness, but will these directories bother
> the unborn Oort inside of pgnus?

>From personal experience I can tell that gnus believes all/most stuff inside a
mail folder to be mail. If you create new files or directories, gnus may think
it is a new group or something. I found out the hard way when I tried to store
both nnfolder and nnml files in a single directory. Ouch! I'm not sure whether
certain filenames (e.g. starting with a dot) are ignored.

Jaap-Henk

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman             | Come sail your ships around me
Dept. of Computer Science     | And burn these bridges down

* Re: Moving News and Mail
@ 2000-01-19 13:00   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-01-19 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

> On 16 Jan 2000 18:43:02 -0800 Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
> > But what will happen when I redo those Variables and start writing to
> > the new directories containing thousands of old messages.   Will gnus
> > just continue without a stutter or will there be a sort of start over
> > of some kind?  Is there some kind of proceedure I need to follow?
>
> I've just moved all my old mail directories to a new location, changed the
> required variables (nnfolder-directory and nnml-directory), and copied the
> .newsrc.eld file to my new home directory, and it all worked without problem.

Good to hear ... thanks

> > Webglimpse will be writing files in the gnus directories too.
> > .glimpse* files and other control files etc.  They can be contained
> > inside a subdirectory for neatness, but will these directories bother
> > the unborn Oort inside of pgnus?

> From personal experience I can tell that gnus believes all/most
> stuff inside a > mail folder to be mail. If you create new files or
> directories, gnus may think > it is a new group or something. I found
> out the hard way when I tried to store > both nnfolder and nnml files
> in a single directory. Ouch! I'm not sure whether > certain filenames
> (e.g. starting with a dot) are ignored.

That would have been from both backends using the same gnus control
files I think.  In my case I don't think gnus will care that a
separate subdir is in there long as it isn't in gnus control files
like 'active' or  '.overview'

I haven't done this yet so don't know for sure.

Thanks for the input.