* Red Gnus 0.66: Menu suggestions
@ 1996-11-20 21:07 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-11-20 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

The menu structure needs a lot of clean up.  Here is some suggestions:

(| means submenu)

* The Group menu:

Misc|Customize -> Groups|Editing groups

The Undo menu should be removed, and the Undo item should be move to
Misc.

Misc|Toggle topics should be removed.  It is already in the Topics
menu.

Groups|Score file should be removed, and the Flush cache item should
be moved to Misc.

Groups|Editing groups should be moved to Group|Edit.

Group|Edit kill file should be moved to  Group|Edit|Kill file.

Misc|Delete bogus groups should be moved to Groups.

Misc|Find new newsgroups should be moved to Groups.

Misc|SOUP should be moved higher in the menu.  It is good to have
submenus near the top.

* The Summary Menu:

Misc|Mark|* should be Misc|(Mark )*

Misc|Cache|* should be Misc|Mark various|*

gnus-score-customize should be added to the Score menu

* The Message Menu:

The "Goto Field" commands should probably be in a separate "Field"
menubar entry.

* Re: Red Gnus 0.66: Menu suggestions
@ 1996-11-20 22:42 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1996-11-20 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per Abrahamsen (abraham@dina.kvl.dk) wrote:
> The menu structure needs a lot of clean up.  Here is some
> suggestions:

If these things are done, maybe it is a good moment to implement the
takeover of XEmacs menubar.  How hard is it, anyway?  Bill?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Hocemo 101-icu!
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Red Gnus 0.66: Menu suggestions
@ 1996-11-20 22:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-11-20 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> The menu structure needs a lot of clean up.  Here is some suggestions:

I've followed all your suggestions, except the following:

> The Undo menu should be removed, and the Undo item should be move to
> Misc.

Is there an Undo menu?

> Misc|Toggle topics should be removed.  It is already in the Topics
> menu.

But not until you switch topic mode on.

> * The Summary Menu:
>
> Misc|Mark|* should be Misc|(Mark )*

I don't quite follow...  Oh, make the sub-submenus into sub-menus?
Ok.

> Misc|Cache|* should be Misc|Mark various|*

There will probably be more cache commands in the future, so we might
as well leave that as it is, I think.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Red Gnus 0.66: Menu suggestions
@ 1996-11-21  3:53   ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1996-11-21  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic writes:
>Per Abrahamsen (abraham@dina.kvl.dk) wrote:
>> The menu structure needs a lot of clean up.  Here is some
>> suggestions:
>
>If these things are done, maybe it is a good moment to implement the
>takeover of XEmacs menubar.  How hard is it, anyway?  Bill?

  Take a look at w3-menu.el in the Emacs-W3 distribution - this works out
really well.  Each menu is 'named' by a symbol that would be on a
gnus-*-menus (where * would be whatever, but at least group, summary, and
article versions) variable.

  So for gnus-summary-menus, I would set to '(sort mark dispose ...)

  A value of '1' would just put _all_ the menus in a single 'GNUS' menu in
the main menubar.  This approach works really well for Emacs-W3 and VM.

-Bill P.

* Re: Red Gnus 0.66: Menu suggestions
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-16 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"William M. Perry" <wmperry@aventail.com> writes:

>   Take a look at w3-menu.el in the Emacs-W3 distribution - this works out
> really well.  Each menu is 'named' by a symbol that would be on a
> gnus-*-menus (where * would be whatever, but at least group, summary, and
> article versions) variable.
>
>   So for gnus-summary-menus, I would set to '(sort mark dispose ...)

Looks nice.  I've added this to the todo list.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen