* Making Gnus more mail-reader-like
@ 1997-09-12 11:27 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-09-12 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have discovered the `display' group parameter.  Quite nice.  Reason
I need it is that I've got a couple of neophyte users converted to
Gnus, and they have difficulty groking the fact that there is mail
that can't be seen.  I tried to circumvent it by automatically marking
new articles as read when they select them, but it seems they're still
able to mark articles as read which subsequently stay on disk
indefinitely but they don't even know these are there.

No wonder they don't seem to read my mails!  1/2 :-)

Anyway, how do I make it so that nnml groups are automatically
(display . all)?  I know about the topic parameters thing but I want
it in the site-wide config, and topic parameters are stored in the
.newsrc.eld.

And a feature wish: WIBNI if the display parameter accepted a list of
symbols like `dormant', `ticked', `unread', `expirable', such that I
could make it so that one group showed all dormant articles only, by
default?  (I agree that's silly, but what I really want is `show all
articles except the expirable ones'.)

kai
--
I like both kinds of music.

* Re: Making Gnus more mail-reader-like
@ 1997-09-12 15:52 ` Scott Blachowicz
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1997-09-12 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Anyway, how do I make it so that nnml groups are automatically
> (display . all)?  I know about the topic parameters thing but I want
> it in the site-wide config, and topic parameters are stored in the
> .newsrc.eld.

How about a group hook of some sort?

    (defun sab:select-group-hook ()
      (if (string-match "nnml:" gnus-newsgroup-name)
        ;; I don't know what you want to do here:
        (setq gnus-mumble-something 'whatever))
      )
    (add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook 'sab:select-group-hook)

Or is that too late in the process?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org

* Re: Making Gnus more mail-reader-like
@ 1997-09-12 16:22   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-09-12 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Scott>     (defun sab:select-group-hook ()
  Scott>       (if (string-match "nnml:" gnus-newsgroup-name)
  Scott>         ;; I don't know what you want to do here:

Seems like gnus-group-set-parameter or
gnus-summary-set-local-parameters would be a reasonable thing to do.

  Scott>         (setq gnus-mumble-something 'whatever))
  Scott>       )
  Scott>     (add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook 'sab:select-group-hook)

  Scott> Or is that too late in the process?

Well, I don't know.  Do any of the gurus know?

kai
--

@ 1997-09-13 23:57   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-13 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> writes:

> How about a group hook of some sort?
>
>     (defun sab:select-group-hook ()
>       (if (string-match "nnml:" gnus-newsgroup-name)
>         ;; I don't know what you want to do here:
>         (setq gnus-mumble-something 'whatever))
>       )
>     (add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook 'sab:select-group-hook)
>
> Or is that too late in the process?

`gnus-summary-mode-hook' is the right place to do just about anything
that has to do with the summary buffer.