* Faster/solider GMail connection?
@ 2016-09-30 18:32 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-09-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Recently `G' in my *Group* buffer now takes a long time and sometimes
appears to truly hang here:

Debugger entered: ("Quit")
  nnimap-wait-for-response(167)
  nnimap-request-list("imap.gmail.com")
  gnus-request-list((nnimap "imap.gmail.com" (nnimap-server-port 993) (nnimap-stream ssl)))
  gnus-read-active-file-1((nnimap "imap.gmail.com" (nnimap-server-port 993) (nnimap-stream ssl)) nil)
  gnus-get-unread-articles(7 nil nil)
  gnus-group-get-new-news(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-group-get-new-news nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-get-new-news nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-group-get-new-news)

I am now using GMail to store gnus-cloud data whereas all my other mail
is going through my local dovecot instance (which I sync with GMail and
another server in the background), but it still seems like it should be
more reliable and speedier than this to connection.  Is there some trick
I'm missing?

Thanks,

--
-Dave

* Re: Faster/solider GMail connection?
@ 2016-10-02 19:11   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-10-02 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Sat Oct 01 2016, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga-AT-ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 18:32, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> Recently `G' in my *Group* buffer now takes a long time and sometimes
>> appears to truly hang here:
>
> I don't know if my experience is relevant but I used to have significant
> difficulties connecting to an Outlook exchange server while I had no
> problems with gmail.  What I did to fix it is set up my system to use a
> different set of DNS servers.  For some reason, my home ISP's default
> servers had real problems with Microsoft's server addresses.
>
> I switched to the OpenDNS servers (https://www.opendns.com/) and
> everything goes much more quickly now.

I doubt this is a DNS issue since I'm frequently looking at

  Opening connection to imap.gmail.com...done

in the message area while waiting.  The fact that the “done” is there
tells me that looking up the server isn't the bottleneck.

--

       [not found] <9862d9052dcf456991f95fab37762087@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-10-01 12:52 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-10-01 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

On Friday, 30 Sep 2016 at 18:32, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> Recently `G' in my *Group* buffer now takes a long time and sometimes
> appears to truly hang here:

I don't know if my experience is relevant but I used to have significant
difficulties connecting to an Outlook exchange server while I had no
problems with gmail.  What I did to fix it is set up my system to use a
different set of DNS servers.  For some reason, my home ISP's default
servers had real problems with Microsoft's server addresses.

I switched to the OpenDNS servers (https://www.opendns.com/) and
everything goes much more quickly now.

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)