* articles not being marked read
@ 2001-03-31 11:07 Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 2001-03-31 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Last night my gnus (CVS from a couple of weeks, or maybe longer than
that, ago) stopped marking articles as read.  It wasn't the display
problem I used to hit pretty often where the color change in the
Summary window doesn't happen, but apparently when I read an article,
it really didn't get an R mark in the summary buffer, and the count of
unread articles in the Group buffer didn't change.

I upped my CVS and got back into xemacs, and haven't seen the problem
since, but of course I went (at least) weeks without seeing it before.

Is this:

        A bug that I should be trying to reproduce so I can report it
        better.

        A bug that might have gotten fixed in the interval between my
        CVS up's.

        A feature that I might have turned on inadvertently.   I can't
        think why we'd want such a gnus-reading-doesnt-change-marks
        feature, but we certainly have lots of features I wouldn't
        have thought of.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574

* Re: articles not being marked read
@ 2001-03-31 19:10 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-31 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 31 Mar 2001, Laura Conrad wrote:

>         A feature that I might have turned on inadvertently.  I
>         can't think why we'd want such a
>         gnus-reading-doesnt-change-marks feature, but we certainly
>         have lots of features I wouldn't have thought of.

People who want Gnus to behave like a traditional mail reader probably
don't want it to automatically hide articles.  One way to prevent this
is to tell it to not mark articles as read when they are selected.

See gnus-select-article-hook and gnus-mark-article-hook.

Do you think you might have frobbed one of those variables?

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: articles not being marked read
@ 2001-03-31 19:28   ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 2001-03-31 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Kai> On 31 Mar 2001, Laura Conrad wrote:
    >> A feature that I might have turned on inadvertently.  I
    >> can't think why we'd want such a
    >> gnus-reading-doesnt-change-marks feature, but we certainly
    >> have lots of features I wouldn't have thought of.

    Kai> People who want Gnus to behave like a traditional mail reader probably
    Kai> don't want it to automatically hide articles.  One way to prevent this
    Kai> is to tell it to not mark articles as read when they are selected.

    Kai> See gnus-select-article-hook and gnus-mark-article-hook.

    Kai> Do you think you might have frobbed one of those variables?

Not on purpose.  What I was wondering was if my fingers had wandered
idly over the keyboard or the xemacs menus and set something by
accident.