From: "Jouni K. Seppänen" <jks@iki.fi>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: oauth to be required for gmail
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 22:43:58 +0200	[thread overview]

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:
>
>>> But my fear is that, should I change to another provider --- I
>>> don't know, FastMail or someone--- they might in time go the
>>> same route. Eliminating "less secure" login methods certainly
>>> seems to be trending.
>
>> Yup.  I think I read somewhere that Microsoft is disabling
>> user-name/password auth on their IMAP offerings, too.
>
> FWIW a third option is to become your own provider:
>  1. Get a Virtual Private Server (VPS) 2. Get a DNS domain (any
>  domain will do) 3. Set up a MTA on the VPS (postfix, exim,
>  etc.)  4. Set up an IMAP server on the VPS (I recommend
>  dovecot)

It's probably a good idea to get your own domain name in any
case. You can tell a provider like Fastmail to handle the email
for that domain, and if they ever start misbehaving, you can move
your domain elsewhere without updating your email address in
everyone's address book.

You can also do a similar thing communally: iki.fi is a non-profit
that gives you an email address and forwards email to wherever you
like (but only open to residents of Finland). Forwarding to Gmail
is a bit problematic because Google occasionally and seemingly
randomly blocks or delays mail from small-volume senders, but I've
been happily forwarding to Fastmail for a few years now.