* Moving mail between imap servers
@ 2017-03-28  5:09 David Mann
From: David Mann @ 2017-03-28  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to move a message from one imap server
to another using gnus?  The specific use-case I am thinking of is as
follows.  I have a private imap server and a Gmail account.  I would
like to move some messages from the private account to a Gmail folder.
This is possible using something like the Apple Mail app, but when I use
gnus with Helm, the only folders shown as available to move mail to are
on the same server.

So is it possible to move mail between servers?

David

* Re: Moving mail between imap servers
@ 2017-03-28 14:38 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2017-03-28 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Mann writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to move a message from one imap server
> to another using gnus?  The specific use-case I am thinking of is as
> follows.  I have a private imap server and a Gmail account.  I would
> like to move some messages from the private account to a Gmail folder.
> This is possible using something like the Apple Mail app, but when I use
> gnus with Helm, the only folders shown as available to move mail to are
> on the same server.
>
> So is it possible to move mail between servers?

I have been able to copy messages between different backends.  Do not be
surprised that some of them are not listed in the autocompletions; in my
experience, those shown are usually the more recently used.

If you just type the complete name of the group, gnus will either do the
operation happily, or either ask you about the creation of a new group
if you happened to mistype its name.

Nevertheless, for the first try I would *copy* rather to move you mails
just to be sure nothing is lost in the process.

--
Alberto

* Re: Moving mail between imap servers
@ 2017-04-02 15:52   ` David Mann
From: David Mann @ 2017-04-02 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto,

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> David Mann writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if it is possible to move a message from one imap server
>> to another using gnus?  The specific use-case I am thinking of is as
>> follows.  I have a private imap server and a Gmail account.  I would
>> like to move some messages from the private account to a Gmail folder.
>> This is possible using something like the Apple Mail app, but when I use
>> gnus with Helm, the only folders shown as available to move mail to are
>> on the same server.
>>
>> So is it possible to move mail between servers?
>
> I have been able to copy messages between different backends.  Do not be
> surprised that some of them are not listed in the autocompletions; in my
> experience, those shown are usually the more recently used.
>
> If you just type the complete name of the group, gnus will either do the
> operation happily, or either ask you about the creation of a new group
> if you happened to mistype its name.
>
> Nevertheless, for the first try I would *copy* rather to move you mails
> just to be sure nothing is lost in the process.

Thanks.  I will try this.

@ 2017-04-02 15:56     ` David Mann
From: David Mann @ 2017-04-02 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto,

David Mann <manndmd@gmail.com> writes:

> Alberto,
>
> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>
>> David Mann writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if it is possible to move a message from one imap server
>>> to another using gnus?  The specific use-case I am thinking of is as
>>> follows.  I have a private imap server and a Gmail account.  I would
>>> like to move some messages from the private account to a Gmail folder.
>>> This is possible using something like the Apple Mail app, but when I use
>>> gnus with Helm, the only folders shown as available to move mail to are
>>> on the same server.
>>>
>>> So is it possible to move mail between servers?
>>
>> I have been able to copy messages between different backends.  Do not be
>> surprised that some of them are not listed in the autocompletions; in my
>> experience, those shown are usually the more recently used.
>>
>> If you just type the complete name of the group, gnus will either do the
>> operation happily, or either ask you about the creation of a new group
>> if you happened to mistype its name.
>>
>> Nevertheless, for the first try I would *copy* rather to move you mails
>> just to be sure nothing is lost in the process.
>
> Thanks.  I will try this.
>
> David

And... It works!

David