* time delay on news groups?
@ 1996-12-12 20:53 Mark Eichin
From: Mark Eichin @ 1996-12-12 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone come up with a way to configure gnus to not show news until
iit has been visible for some amount of time?  I'm thinking in terms
of making the spam-warfare out there more useful... if I delay reading
a message in an alt group until it's been there for 12 or maybe 36
hours, there's a fair chance that someone will have "retroactively
moderated" it if necessary.

It wouldn't make sense for all groups (for example, if I were actively
participating, instead of just lurking, I'd probably turn it off...)

* Re: time delay on news groups?
@ 1996-12-12 22:00 ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1996-12-12 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> Has anyone come up with a way to configure gnus to not show news until
> iit has been visible for some amount of time?  I'm thinking in terms
> of making the spam-warfare out there more useful... if I delay reading
> a message in an alt group until it's been there for 12 or maybe 36
> hours, there's a fair chance that someone will have "retroactively
> moderated" it if necessary.

	Good idea, it can help with NoCeM propagation problems.  I'm not
sure what you'd want to do in the group buffer, but in the subject
buffer, you could limit the summary to articles older than X days:

(defun gnus-summary-limit-to-age (age &optional younger-p)
  "If YOUNGER-P is nil, limit the summary buffer to articles that are older than (or equal) AGE days.  Otherwise, limit the summary buffer to articles that are younger than AGE days."
  (interactive "nTime in days: ")
  (prog1
      (let ((data gnus-newsgroup-data)
	    (cutoff (nnmail-days-to-time age))
	    articles d date is-younger)
	(while (setq d (pop data))
	  (when (and (vectorp (gnus-data-header d))
		     (setq date (mail-header-date (gnus-data-header d))))
	    (setq is-younger (nnmail-time-less
			      (nnmail-time-since (nnmail-date-to-time date))
			      cutoff))
	    (when (if younger-p is-younger (not is-younger))
	      (push (gnus-data-number d) articles))))
	(gnus-summary-limit (nreverse articles)))
    (gnus-summary-position-point)))

You could bind to something like '/ t' in the summary buffer.  Or it
might work in your gnus-summary-prepare-hook, but I haven't tested that.

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu>       | Computer Systems Lab      __o
UCSD Dept. Computer Science - 0114  | Work: (619) 534-8604    _ \<,_

* Re: time delay on news groups?
@ 1996-12-13  7:37   ` Wesley.Hardaker
From: Wesley.Hardaker @ 1996-12-13  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

David> You could bind to something like '/ t' in the summary buffer.  Or it
David> might work in your gnus-summary-prepare-hook, but I haven't tested that.

Well, you can't put it in gnus-summary-prepare-hook or you'll get an
infinite loop, I'm afraid...  However, my next question is what does
gnus do when you limit the buffer and then do a catchup?  IE, do the
limited articles get caught up as well?

Wes

* Re: time delay on news groups?
@ 1996-12-13  8:33     ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1996-12-13  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wesley.Hardaker@sphys.unil.ch writes:

> Well, you can't put it in gnus-summary-prepare-hook or you'll get an
> infinite loop, I'm afraid...  However, my next question is what does
> gnus do when you limit the buffer and then do a catchup?  IE, do the
> limited articles get caught up as well?

	I thought it only caught up the ones in the limited selection.
_However_, it marks all of the other hidden articles as read.  And I do
mean read, if catchup would normally mark them as expirable, they just
get marked as read.

	That's rather a pain, maybe catch up should be fixed not to do
that.  Although I'm sure someone will say it's a feature. ;)

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu>       | Computer Systems Lab      __o
UCSD Dept. Computer Science - 0114  | Work: (619) 534-8604    _ \<,_
La Jolla, CA 92093-0114             | Fax:  (619) 534-1445   (_)/ (_)
<URL:http://oj.egbt.org/dmoore/>    | In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: time delay on news groups?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-16 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Moore <dmoore@UCSD.EDU> writes:

> 	I thought it only caught up the ones in the limited selection.

I hadn't though about it, but I think that it should do that.  So I've
now changed it.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: time delay on news groups?
@ 1996-12-12 22:37 St. Suika Fenderson Roberts
From: St. Suika Fenderson Roberts @ 1996-12-12 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On a similar note, is/could it be possible to score on article length?  This
would be mainly good for groups like alt.startrek.creative, where anything
under 90 lines is almost certainly not worth reading. . .

Thanks,
	Suika (Gnus is wonderful!  I spend far too much time with it!)
PS:  Someone was wanting a `save state to dribble buffer' function, so here's
the one I munged together.  It's tested, can't say much else for it ^_^
(well, I munged it out of Lars's code, so that gives it a boost)
-----------------
(defun gnus-summary-save-info ()
 (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (let ((group gnus-newsgroup-name))
      (when gnus-newsgroup-kill-headers
        (setq gnus-newsgroup-killed
              (gnus-compress-sequence
               (nconc
                (gnus-set-sorted-intersection
                 (gnus-uncompress-range gnus-newsgroup-killed)
                 (setq gnus-newsgroup-unselected
                       (sort gnus-newsgroup-unselected '<)))
                (setq gnus-newsgroup-unreads
                      (sort gnus-newsgroup-unreads '<)))
               t)))
      (unless (listp (cdr gnus-newsgroup-killed))
        (setq gnus-newsgroup-killed (list gnus-newsgroup-killed)))
      (let ((headers gnus-newsgroup-headers))
        (unless gnus-save-score
          (setq gnus-newsgroup-scored nil))
        ;; Set the new ranges of read articles.
        (gnus-update-read-articles
         group (append gnus-newsgroup-unreads gnus-newsgroup-unselected))
        ;; Set the current article marks.
        (gnus-update-marks)
        ;; Don't do the cross-ref thing.
;        (when gnus-use-cross-reference
;          (gnus-mark-xrefs-as-read group headers gnus-newsgroup-unreads))
        ;; Do not switch windows but change the buffer to work.
        (set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
        (unless (gnus-ephemeral-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name)
          (gnus-group-update-group group))))))
--
		wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
"The dew fell with a particularly sickening thud this morning."