* non-fetched groups
@ 1997-09-25  4:29 David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-09-25  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

For some reasons the groups from two news servers start up being
unknown (ie not opened or whatever). One group on the main news server
does open correctly - it has select-method = nil. The other ones have
nntp:<server> and they don't work. Why might this happen?
--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
The meek will inherit the earth -- if that's OK with you.

* Re: non-fetched groups
@ 1997-09-27  3:37 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-27  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:

> For some reasons the groups from two news servers start up being
> unknown (ie not opened or whatever). One group on the main news server
> does open correctly - it has select-method = nil. The other ones have
> nntp:<server> and they don't work. Why might this happen?

Because your settings indicate that foreign groups aren't to be
activated?  See the manual for details.

* Re: non-fetched groups
@ 1997-09-28  3:51   ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-09-28  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:
>
> > For some reasons the groups from two news servers start up being
> > unknown (ie not opened or whatever). One group on the main news server
> > does open correctly - it has select-method = nil. The other ones have
> > nntp:<server> and they don't work. Why might this happen?
>
> Because your settings indicate that foreign groups aren't to be
> activated?  See the manual for details.

Well, the server is the same. I did subscribe to the groups from the
server buffer. What puzzles me are that 1) a couple foreign
(secondary?) servers work. The ones that doesn't work are in
gnus-select-method and -secondary-. It did work before too and I
didn't change anything AFAIK. I will however check the manual out.

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Rome was not built in one day.

* Re: non-fetched groups
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-10-03 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hedbor <david@hedbor.org> writes:

> Well, the server is the same. I did subscribe to the groups from the
> server buffer.

`G e' on the groups and compare.

> What puzzles me are that 1) a couple foreign (secondary?) servers
> work. The ones that doesn't work are in gnus-select-method and
> -secondary-. It did work before too and I didn't change anything
> AFAIK. I will however check the manual out.

I don't understand how a group can be both native and secondary.