* qgnus 0.9 Threading problem?
@ 1997-09-23  5:43 Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1997-09-23  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think that there may be a threading problem in qgnus. My .gnus has
the following lines related to threading (these have been there for
some time and not changed)

(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers t)
(setq gnus-build-sparse-threads t)
(setq gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function 'gnus-gather-threads-by-references)
(setq gnus-summary-make-false-root ' dummy)
(setq gnus-thread-ignore-subject t)
(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions ' (gnus-thread-sort-by-date
				    gnus-thread-sort-by-subject gnus-thread-sort-by-total-score))
(setq gnus-thread-indent-level 3)

I am no longer always seeing threads built correctly. For example the
following headers are from a post which is in reply to one of mine
 <abh006.5rp.ln@shivan.demon.co.uk> <dgeXvPAGhBJ0EAhg@netcomuk.co.uk>
 <GbWTLDAdVCJ0Ewhx@jbaassoc.demon.co.uk>
 <grahamvhzuonnm.fsf@barnowl.demon.co.uk>

The corresponding headers from my post are

The summary buffer show the reply completely unthreaded (ie as a root
with no sub-threads), but when I run gnus-summary-refer-parent-article
it correctly takes me to my article, _but_ which is then shown in its
correct place (further down the summary buffer) and threaded.

* Re: qgnus 0.9 Threading problem?
@ 1997-09-23  6:19 ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1997-09-23  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <graham202gzitq.fsf@barnowl.demon.co.uk>, Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I think that there may be a threading problem in qgnus. My .gnus has
> the following lines related to threading (these have been there for
> some time and not changed)

OK, I have found the problem. It would seem not to be gnus but my news
server which is not handling 'folded' reference lines correctly in the
NOV entries. Though it is funny that I have only just noticed it.

* Re: qgnus 0.9 Threading problem?
@ 1997-09-23 23:46   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-09-23 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk> writes:

> OK, I have found the problem. It would seem not to be gnus but my news
> server which is not handling 'folded' reference lines correctly in the
> NOV entries. Though it is funny that I have only just noticed it.

It's a known problem with innd when it has to generate NOV headers on
the fly.