* auto-expire strangeness?
@ 1997-05-21  9:17 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-05-21  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Selecting an article marked "O" for reading marks this article as
expirable when in an auto-expirable group.

Why is this so?

I mark articles as read to save them on my disk for later perusal, so
reading an "O" article and having that suddenly be marked as expirable
is not what I want.

Another thing: if I have no new and no ticked articles in a group,
entering the group automatically shows me both the "O" and the
expirable articles.  Is there a way to tell Gnus not to show me the
expirable articles?

I quite like the fact that summary buffers are usually much smaller
with this mechanism, though.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: auto-expire strangeness?
@ 1997-05-24  3:40 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-24  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Selecting an article marked "O" for reading marks this article as
> expirable when in an auto-expirable group.
>
> Why is this so?

I don't know.  I certainly find it annoying.

Anybody remember why this was done?  Should I change it?

> Another thing: if I have no new and no ticked articles in a group,
> entering the group automatically shows me both the "O" and the
> expirable articles.  Is there a way to tell Gnus not to show me the
> expirable articles?

Not at present.  It's on the todo list, though.

* Re: auto-expire strangeness?
@ 1997-05-24 17:19   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-05-24 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Kai> Selecting an article marked "O" for reading marks this article as
  Kai> expirable when in an auto-expirable group.

  Kai> Why is this so?

  Lars> I don't know.  I certainly find it annoying.
  Lars> Anybody remember why this was done?  Should I change it?

I got a response from somebody (sorry I forgot your name) who told me
that you told him about gnus-mark-article-hook:

,-----
| ;; Use this for auto-expire only.
| (remove-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook
|              'gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read)
| (add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-read)
`-----

I'm happy with this solution.
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: auto-expire strangeness?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-25 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> I got a response from somebody (sorry I forgot your name) who told me
> that you told him about gnus-mark-article-hook:
>
> ,-----
> | ;; Use this for auto-expire only.
> | (remove-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook
> |              'gnus-summary-mark-read-and-unread-as-read)
> | (add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-read)
> `-----

I've now added this to the manual.