* Re: mailcrypt error
@ 1998-09-10  4:09   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-09-10  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:
> Uh oh.  This isn't Gnus-related.  Get the mailcrypt folks to use
> itimers instead of timers in XEmacs.

mailcrypt 3.5b5 comes with its own timer package, as FSF-timer.el,
which the install procedure puts into place as timer.el.  So if the
install is done normally, the timer.el problem is already covered.

Will this break in XEmacs 21?

>From INSTALL:
  In addition, PGP 5.0 support requires the file timer.el, which should
  be included in FSF Emacs, but is NOT included with Xemacs.  This file
  is included with Mailcrypt, and will be installed if the timer library
  isn't found in the load path.  If you already have timer.el, but it is
  in an unusual place, edit the file `load-path.hack' file accordingly.

* mailcrypt error
@ 1998-09-10  7:21 Phil Humpherys
From: Phil Humpherys @ 1998-09-10  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had text in a mail buffer, and did M-x mc-encrypt.  It prompted
me for a recipient, and when I entered one, I got this in the
mini-buffer below:

Cannot open load file: timer

>From ~/.emacs:

[phumpherys@tc2-84 humphery]$ grep mc .emacs
(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'mc-install-read-mode)
(add-hook 'news-reply-mode-hook 'mc-install-write-mode)
(mc-setversion "pgp50")

Any thoughts?

--
Phil Humpherys <phumpherys@utah-inter.net>   DriverSoft
Unix Systems Administrator                   Mobile: +1.801.725.3257

* Re: mailcrypt error
@ 1998-09-10  8:35 ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-09-10  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phil Humpherys <phumpherys@utah-inter.net> writes in ding@gnus.org:

> I had text in a mail buffer, and did M-x mc-encrypt.  It prompted
> me for a recipient, and when I entered one, I got this in the
> mini-buffer below:

> Cannot open load file: timer

Uh oh.  This isn't Gnus-related.  Get the mailcrypt folks to use
itimers instead of timers in XEmacs.  There's a compatibility timer
package distributed as an adjunct to XEmacs 21, but you don't really
want to use it if you can at all help it.

* Re: mailcrypt error
@ 1998-09-10 21:21     ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-09-10 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes in ding@gnus.org:

> Phil Humpherys <phumpherys@utah-inter.net> writes in ding@gnus.org:
>>> I had text in a mail buffer, and did M-x mc-encrypt...
>>> Cannot open load file: timer

Phil, could you please (setq debug-on-error t) and get a lisp stack
backtrace?

> SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:
>> Uh oh.  This isn't Gnus-related.  Get the mailcrypt folks to use
>> itimers instead of timers in XEmacs.

> mailcrypt 3.5b5 comes with its own timer package, as FSF-timer.el,
> which the install procedure puts into place as timer.el.  So if the
> install is done normally, the timer.el problem is already covered.

O.K.  I've taken a look at the code.  I believe the problem is that
the FSF-timer.el in mailcrypt shouldn't be installed.  It is expecting
to be able to run a program called `timer' in the background.

The new mailcrypt appears to be coded as correctly as the old mailcrypt
wrt timers.  The code first looks for itimer, and if it doesn't find
it, falls back to timer.  I know that code works in both emacsen and
it doesn't appear to have changed.