From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on NoCeM and switching servers
Date: 20 Sep 1997 20:13:32 +0200	[thread overview]

Scott Hofmann <shofmann@intertv.com> writes:

> The first problem I had was in logging into the NNTP server. It's a
> secure server that requires a login and password, so I initiallly
> set nntp-authinfo-function to nntp-send-nosy-authinfo. When I ran
> gnus, it did stuff in a backwards order: it connected to the NNTP
> server, and then asked for the login information.

That's what's supposed to happen -- the server asks for authinfo by
issuing a "480" response, and Gnus is supposed to reply to that.  But
it sounds like there's a bug there somewhere, since it hangs.  Could
you `(setq debug-on-quit t)' and `C-g' when it starts spinning?  Send
me the resulting backtrace.

> The second problem was with NoCeM. When there is no NoCeM/active
> file, it would be nice if NoCeM behaved as if gnus-nocem-expiry-wait
> was set to 0 - on my new NNTP server there were over 10,000 unread
> messages in news.lists.filters alone, and given how slow my NNTP
> connection is it would have taken gnus nearly 12 hours to read
> news.lists.filters alone, much less alt.nocem.misc and the other
> NoCeM groups. It seems like this could be fixed with a bit of elisp
> - if NoCeM is creating its active file then it should consider all
> NoCeM messages as "read" so that gnus doesn't spend hours and hours
> reading NoCeM messages during gnus' first invocation on a new
> server.

But that might be what some people would want -- fetch all the NoCeM
messages so that all spam would be NoCeM'ed out.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen