* Sending news from mail
@ 1997-05-22 11:07 Norman Walsh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Norman Walsh @ 1997-05-22 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello World,

Let me start by saying, I know this may be a little wierd.  For
performance reasons, I don't try to read news with nntp from my
ISP.  Instead, I run a script on my ISP's telnet machine which
uses nntp to collect up all the news I might want to read, build
spool files out of it, and compress it.  I download the
compressed file, unpack it into my ~/.incoming directory, and
let GNUS populate my nnml directories with it.

This works great...until I want to send an article.  Then I
create a foreign nntp group, load a couple of articles from it,
and post my message.  Then I delete the group, etc.  Luckily, I
don't post news all that often, what can I say, I lurk a lot ;-)

For several months now (basically since I started doing this
;-), I've known there must be a better way.  Can someone point
me to it?  RTFM is a perfectly reasonable response, but it would
help if the applicable FM was identified ;-)

--norm

* Re: Sending news from mail
@ 1997-05-22 11:50 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-05-22 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Norm> This works great...until I want to send an article.  Then I
  Norm> create a foreign nntp group, load a couple of articles from it,
  Norm> and post my message.  Then I delete the group, etc.  Luckily, I
  Norm> don't post news all that often, what can I say, I lurk a lot ;-)

The info node "Group Parameters" has the following to say:

,-----
| `to-group'
|      Elements like `(to-group . "some.group.name")' means that all
|      posts in that group will be sent to `some.group.name'.
`-----

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Sending news from mail
@ 1997-05-22 12:43 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-05-22 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Check for nnsoup in the docs out.. could be something that interests
you? Don't know how 'offline' you can do the reading..

Another alternative could be maybe looking at the group parameters and
see if you can customize them to automagically set the variables for
sending, or use a mail2news gateway..

	/Andy
--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: Sending news from mail
@ 1997-05-24  4:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-24  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <norm@berkshire.net> writes:

> For several months now (basically since I started doing this
> ;-), I've known there must be a better way.  Can someone point
> me to it?  RTFM is a perfectly reasonable response, but it would
> help if the applicable FM was identified ;-)

The Gnus FM.

You may want to use some mail-to-news gateway.  The "Mail-To-News
Gateways" section in the manual describes how to do this, but I'm not
sure anybody has ever tested it.  Be a guinea pig!  :-)