* gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups
@ 1997-04-26  3:47 Jason R. Mastaler
From: Jason R. Mastaler @ 1997-04-26  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to move NNTP servers, and reading through the manual,
`gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups' seems like the right
way to go (to clear out all data that I have on my native groups.)
I did this a while ago, and don't remember having this complication
with the cache tree.  Here is the sequence of events.

I run M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups

 Gnus asks "Really clear all data from almost all groups? (yes or no)"

I answer yes

 Gnus asks "Move the cache away to avoid future problems? (y or n)"

I answer y

 Gnus asks "Move the cache tree to:"

Now, if I specify an existing directory to use, I get a "file already
exists" error.  If I specify a a new, non-existant directory, I get
"no match".  I'm not sure first of all what the ramifications are of
moving the cache away in this situation, or not moving it away.  If
it's preferable to move the cache, what is the right way to move it.
If I answer `n' to the second question, I get no errors, but nothing
seems to happen.

Some clarification on this issue would be helpful.

BTW, is the `gnus-change-server' code still pretty bug wridden and
untested, or is it better now?  I tried using that back with
Red Gnus v0.68 and didn't have much success.

--
Jason R. Mastaler                                 jason@mastaler.com

* Re: gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups
@ 1997-04-27  9:15 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-04-27  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

jason@mastaler.com (Jason R. Mastaler) writes:

> I answer y
>
>  Gnus asks "Move the cache tree to:"
>
> Now, if I specify an existing directory to use, I get a "file already
> exists" error.  If I specify a a new, non-existant directory, I get
> "no match".

Yup.  Fix in Gnus v5.4.47.

> BTW, is the `gnus-change-server' code still pretty bug wridden and
> untested, or is it better now?  I tried using that back with
> Red Gnus v0.68 and didn't have much success.

I've never tested it.