* Which gnus variable(s) control the over-colorizing of messages?
@ 2001-12-29 15:44 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2001-12-29 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently I had a system crash when my gnus session was up and running.
After restarting my system and re-entering gnus (fairly recent Oort),
the message highlighting behavior has become excessive.  This only
occurs when I'm in message mode (i.e., composing or replying to a
message), at which time I get the "fruit salad" look for the message
headers, quoted lines, etc.  The messages look just fine when I'm
reading them in article mode.

I presume that some configuration file of mine got trashed during the
system crash, thereby allowing some previously-set gnus variable to
revert to its default, over-colorizing behavior.  But I can't figure
out which variable this is.  All my 'gnus-treat-*' variables are fine,
since the messages look exactly the way I want them to look in article
mode.

My ~/.xemacs/custom.el file is just fine, by the way ... it's the same
as it was before the crash.

So ... could anyone suggest which variable(s) normally affect this
fruit-salad behavior in message mode?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Which gnus variable(s) control the over-colorizing of messages?
@ 2001-12-29 21:14 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-29 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> So ... could anyone suggest which variable(s) normally affect this
> fruit-salad behavior in message mode?

The message highlighting stuff is all done by font-lock, so you should
twiddle with `message-font-lock-keywords' to get a different behavior.

* Re: Which gnus variable(s) control the over-colorizing of messages?
@ 2001-12-29 21:53 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-29 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Recently I had a system crash when my gnus session was up and running.
> After restarting my system and re-entering gnus (fairly recent Oort),
> the message highlighting behavior has become excessive.  This only
> occurs when I'm in message mode (i.e., composing or replying to a
> message), at which time I get the "fruit salad" look for the message
> headers, quoted lines, etc.  The messages look just fine when I'm
> reading them in article mode.

Gnus uses font-lock for message mode, whereas it uses the
gnus-treat-* variables for displaying articles.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: Which gnus variable(s) control the over-colorizing of messages?
@ 2002-01-01 16:35   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2002-01-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>> Recently I had a system crash when my gnus session was up and running.
>> After restarting my system and re-entering gnus (fairly recent Oort),
>> the message highlighting behavior has become excessive.  This only
>> occurs when I'm in message mode (i.e., composing or replying to a
>> message), at which time I get the "fruit salad" look for the message
>> headers, quoted lines, etc.  The messages look just fine when I'm
>> reading them in article mode.
>
> Gnus uses font-lock for message mode, whereas it uses the
> gnus-treat-* variables for displaying articles.

Thanks.  Making some font-lock changes among my customizations fixed
the problem.  But now, what I'm mystified about is why I had the
problem to begin with.  I hadn't upgraded Gnus or XEmacs or any elisp
packages, and I can't find any files that were corrupted by the system
crash.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com