* Re: gnus 0.11 gnus-start.el 8patch9 -- compression support
@ 1997-09-30 20:25 Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 1997-09-30 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

{this is copy&paste message, mail receive troubles...}

  Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@mjolner.dk>

  Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@ntc.nokia.com> writes:
  >     I have an account where I'm real tight on disk space. My quota
  >     limit makes me be on my toes every time I open gnus and it
  >     saves the huge .newrc or .newsrc.el

  "Huge"?

In my case yes.  I use News and mail heavily and I want to
have the articles read log. Yes, I have only included the newsgroups
with Server Browse command and they are the minimum for me.

The Patch gives a general solution  to have compressed .ewnsrc files
as Gnus allows compressed files for backends.
The .newsrd handling just weren't included, because
the "d" was manually concatenamed to the name.

The patch allows ".newsrd.eld.gz" Which is great saving!
My only gnus file is this because I have disabled saving .newsrc
and even in compressed format it taken some space, but certainly less
than in non-compressed.

  -rw-r-----   1 ssjaaa   ssjaaa    208574 Sep 28 22:17 .newsrc.eld.gz

I don't dare to touch the .eld because I don't want to corrupt
the settings. Maybe some later gnus bring some editing mode for it.

Cheers!
jari

* Re: gnus 0.11 gnus-start.el 8patch9 -- compression support
@ 1997-10-03 22:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-10-03 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@ntc.nokia.com> writes:

> In my case yes.  I use News and mail heavily and I want to
> have the articles read log.

Kill off the unsubscribed groups.

> I don't dare to touch the .eld because I don't want to corrupt
> the settings. Maybe some later gnus bring some editing mode for it.

There is.  It's called `gnus-group-mode'.