* notification receipt, send
@ 2018-05-07 10:48 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-05-07 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

Most of the time return receipt are annoying but sometimes they might be
useful.
Gnus allow me to add, via message-insert-disposition-notification-to, a
return receipt, and for example thunderbird will send a notification.

Does gnus also have the possibility to send a notification of a return
receipt. I searched the documentation and google but did not find
anything.

Uwe Brauer

* Re: notification receipt, send
@ 2019-06-22  9:55 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-06-22  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Most of the time return receipt are annoying but sometimes they might be
> useful.
> Gnus allow me to add, via message-insert-disposition-notification-to, a
> return receipt, and for example thunderbird will send a notification.
>
> Does gnus also have the possibility to send a notification of a return
> receipt. I searched the documentation and google but did not find
> anything.

The trick is apparently

(add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-notifications)

but it's not documented.  I'll add it to the manual.

* Re: notification receipt, send
@ 2019-06-22  9:57   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-06-22  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>> Most of the time return receipt are annoying but sometimes they might be
>> useful.
>> Gnus allow me to add, via message-insert-disposition-notification-to, a
>> return receipt, and for example thunderbird will send a notification.
>>
>> Does gnus also have the possibility to send a notification of a return
>> receipt. I searched the documentation and google but did not find
>> anything.
>
> The trick is apparently
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'gnus-notifications)
>
> but it's not documented.  I'll add it to the manual.

That was totally wrong -- those kinds of notification are about Dbus
things.

So, no, this doesn't seem to be implemented at all in Gnus.  Patches
welcome.  :-)  (Should default to "off", though.)