* Really annoying problem.
@ 2003-01-26 15:29 Mattias Ahnberg
From: Mattias Ahnberg @ 2003-01-26 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been away for a week and just got back home, logged online to
check my e-mails. I get a lot of e-mails, so emacs got very very
bothered and eventually it ate all the memory I had left in my
machine, and Linux killed the emacs process to clear out the memory
to avoid crashing the machine entirely.

When I restarted emacs and gnus I had lost ALL mails except a few
hundred that were put into a group named "bogus". All the .spool files
that my procmail sorts things into were zero sized, and the mails
hadn't been moved into their real folder files. :/

How can this happen? Why is e-mail removed from the .spool files
_BEFORE_ they are written to disk in the real group files? I thought
that there would be NO way to lose mails like this, atleast not for
ALL folders. Seems like gnus read all the e-mails into memory, zeroing
the .spool files and then started writing things down to the folders
themselves.

Any hints on why it could end up like this? Is there a problem that
needs to be looked at?

Anything else you need to know about my setup to be able to judge
the situation? I'm Using Oort Gnus v0.10 and Emacs 21.2.2.

/ahnberg.

* Re: Really annoying problem.
@ 2003-01-26 15:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-26 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mattias Ahnberg <mattias@ahnberg.pp.se> writes:

> When I restarted emacs and gnus I had lost ALL mails except a few
> hundred that were put into a group named "bogus". All the .spool files
> that my procmail sorts things into were zero sized, and the mails
> hadn't been moved into their real folder files. :/

Sounds like you've run out of disk space or something like that.

> I thought that there would be NO way to lose mails like this,
> atleast not for ALL folders.

The mail is still in ~/Mail/Incoming*.