* request for plain text mailing howto
@ 2000-11-02 16:36 janneke
From: janneke @ 2000-11-02 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi List,

For two weeks now, I've been trying out gnus as a replacement for
(n)mh.  First I used 5.7 from plain debian's emacs-20.7); last week I
upgraded to 5.8.7 as you can see.  I very much like being in Emacs for
hacking and mailing alike (I found mh-e not very usable).

While it's nice that 5.8.7 has support for (idiots that send me) mime
and other stuff, I'm just a programmer and I'd like all magic turned
off by default (like 5.7 had?).

Now, howto do that?

I've already added

        ;; AARGH
        (setq gnus-treat-emphasize nil)
        (setq gnus-treat-fill-article nil)
        (setq gnus-treat-overstrike nil)
        (setq gnus-treat-dumbquotes nil)

to my .gnus.el file to turn off some evil (imho) textformatting stuff,
but today I found gnus mangling a patch that I sent.  First, it
apparently did this:

	diff -urN ../lilypond-1.3.102/CHANGES ./CHANGES
	--- ../lilypond-1.3.102/CHANGES	Wed Nov  1 17:55:44 2000
	+++ ./CHANGES	Thu Nov  2 15:53:01 2000
	@@ -1,3 +1,14 @@
	+1.3.102.jcn1
	+=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
	+

After the recipient saved my mail (using X-Mailer: VM 6.76 under Emacs
20.7.1), the mangling seemed to be gone, but he got:

        patching file ./buildscripts/tfm2afm.scm
        patch: **** malformed patch at line 192: cript_correction]]]]]

So, I had to resend it using nmh.  Maybe I *should* use attachments,
but I don't like that.

It would be very helpful if someone could point me to a complete list
of magic text mangling options.

Thanks Gnus,
Greetings,
Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter

* Re: request for plain text mailing howto
@ 2000-11-02 17:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-02 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

You didn't say how you include the patch in your email.  Did you do a
MIME attachment using `C-c C-a' or similar?  Or did you include the
patch using `C-x i' or the like?

Did your message contain non-ascii characters?  That would cause Gnus
to use QP or base64 encoding because it assumes that mailers don't
grok 8bit characters.

If you are sure that your mailer groks 8bit characters, you can tell
Gnus to use 8bit encoding for iso-8859-1 text, for example, by setting
the variable gnus-group-posting-charset-alist appropriately.  For
example:

(add-to-list 'gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
             '(message-this-is-mail iso-8859-1 (iso-8859-1)))
;                                   header     body

This tells Gnus to use 8bit encoding for iso-8859-1 characters in the
header and in the body.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: request for plain text mailing howto
@ 2000-11-02 18:31   ` janneke
From: janneke @ 2000-11-02 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Did your message contain non-ascii characters?  That would cause Gnus
> to use QP or base64 encoding because it assumes that mailers don't
> grok 8bit characters.

    19:26:06 appel ~/usr/src/lilypond$ file x
    x: International language text

I just used C-x i, but (Arg) my patch wasn't plain ascii.  It included
a submission that turned out to use international characters.  Now
I'll have to reject the submission :-)

I'm a bit embarrassed for pointing at Gnus first.

> if you are sure that your mailer groks 8bit characters, you can tell
> Gnus to use 8bit encoding for iso-8859-1 text, for example, by setting
> the variable gnus-group-posting-charset-alist appropriately.  For
> example:
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
>              '(message-this-is-mail iso-8859-1 (iso-8859-1)))
> ;                                   header     body

Thanks!

Greetings,
Jan.

> --