* Gnus loosing market share?
@ 2000-04-12 15:25 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2000-04-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michael Baer

So, after a friend of mine tried to start using Gnus and found the
thing a bit unwieldy to try and configure (w/imap, w/this, w/that
admittedly because he wanted all those features and wondered why they
weren't set up by default) and then switched to netscape-mail, I was
wondering if anyone had done a market share survey recently?

I know that a while back (2+ years?) someone scanned through a nntp
server's newsgroups to get a percentage of people using it.  Anyone
done that lately?  I vaguely recall the numbers being like 11 or 12%
in the comp.* tree, or something like that...

My bbdb seems to indicate about 10% (which isn't a good statistical
survey, mind you):

% grep -i gnus .bbdb | wc -l
     22
% wc -l .bbdb
    227 .bbdb

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Gnus loosing market share?
@ 2000-04-20  0:11 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I know that a while back (2+ years?) someone scanned through a nntp
> server's newsgroups to get a percentage of people using it.  Anyone
> done that lately?  I vaguely recall the numbers being like 11 or 12%
> in the comp.* tree, or something like that...

I don't think they were that high...

I did a kinda thorough search, and set up a thing to compile stats
automatically, but I forgot to fix it when it started malfunctioning,
which it begun doing immediately.

Kjell Irgens used to have a statistics page, but that seems to be gone
as well.

*sigh*  One of these years, I'll get my stats page up and working again.