* nnkiboze
@ 1998-04-25 20:08 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-25 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Judging by the changelog in newest 5.6.5 release, there was work done on nnkiboze:

  > * nnkiboze.el (nnkiboze-generate-group): Would mess up newsrs
  > 	    hashtb.
  > 	    (nnkiboze-enter-nov): Created bogus Xrefs headers.

Not sure what was done  but I am still unable to get any use at all out
of nnkiboze.  Apparently some, have been able to get it to work, so am
wondering what I am doing wrong or what is wrong in my setup.

Experiments on the new release of gnus-5.6.5 gives one new (bad)
development from previous experiments with earlier versions,
Now, at the end of the search I get a message "no news is no news" in the
group buffer and all else disappears, and is rendered inaccessable.

Any attempts to get the group buffer back are just blank.  Only way I've
found to get started again is to kill 'group' buffer and press M-x gnus
again.

Briefly the steps followed are:

1)G k  make kiboze group
2)give it regexp for groups (alt.unix.wizards$)
3)Pick 'body' (area to be searched)
4)give search string (unix)
Group pops up in group display *nnkiboze test2
5)Press M-x nnkiboze-generate-groups <RET>
Full nntp read takes place
alt.unix.wizards is checked

Then the 'no news is no news' message. No further use of that instance of gnus is
possible.

After killing blank group buffer, pressing M-x gnus again,  the Kiboze
group is activated and finds 44 messages.  On attempting to open group I
get: 'Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil'

Some further notes:

I see the same problem as before with read articles being marked unread
and any ticked articles come up unticked after running nnkiboze.  This
happens on *all* groups including nnml groups.  Not just on the groups
included in the nnkiboze regexp.

The number showing on nnkiboze group is doubled every time nnkiboze is run.

Same behaviour both plugged and unplugged

Included below are the messages produced during both phases above and
the back trace from the error

Messages:

Reading active file from enews.newsguy.com via nntp...done
Reading active file via nnml...done
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on /var/spool/mail/djputnam...

nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...

nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...done
Checking new news...done
nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...
 [2 times]
nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...done
No news is no news
Auto-saving...
No news is no news

************    After restart of gnus *********************

Mark set
Wrote /home/dj/.newsrc-dribble

Reading /home/dj/.newsrc.eld...
Generating the cache active file...
Generating the cache active file...done
Checking new news...
Opening nndraft server...

Opening nndoc server on /var/spool/mail/djputnam...

Opening nnml server...

Opening nnkiboze server on alt.unix.wizards$...

nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...

nnkiboze: Checking alt.unix.wizards...done
Checking new news...done
Retrieving newsgroup: nnkiboze:test2...
Fetching headers for nnkiboze:test2...
Fetching headers for nnkiboze:test2...done
Scoring...
Scoring on article 1 of 44...
Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil

Back trace:

Signaling: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  nnkiboze-request-article(1 "test2" "alt.unix.wizards$" nil)
  gnus-request-article(1 "nnkiboze:test2")
  gnus-score-body((((touched nil) ("body" ...))) "body" 729504 729497 nil)
  gnus-score-headers(("/home/dj/News/nnkiboze:test2.SCORE") nil)
  gnus-possibly-score-headers()
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnkiboze:test2" nil t nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnkiboze:test2" nil t nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
* call-interactively(gnus-group-select-group)

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: nnkiboze
@ 1998-06-24  5:20 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-06-24  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1)G k  make kiboze group
> 2)give it regexp for groups (alt.unix.wizards$)
> 3)Pick 'body' (area to be searched)
> 4)give search string (unix)
> Group pops up in group display *nnkiboze test2
> 5)Press M-x nnkiboze-generate-groups <RET>

What happens if you just `M-g' the group instead?

* NNkiboze...
@ 2001-04-13 12:29 Georg C. F. Greve
From: Georg C. F. Greve @ 2001-04-13 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys,

okay, one final question (if I have another one I'll subscribe to the
list, promise):

I'd like to be able to mark a couple of groups and then create a
nnkibozed group based upon a search for all mail to/from/about a
certain author or topic interactively.

How would it work? I'd mark the groups I'm interested in, press some
key combo to call the function, then be asked interactively to specify
parameters like field (and I'd like to be able to specify "To, From,
CC, and Bcc" as ONE field) and value until I'm finished narrowing my
search, then be asked for a group name with a default that can be set
by some variable so I can put the results into a standard group for
this. Then it should do it.

The functionality for this seems to be there with the whole virtual
groups and nnkiboze things. But the interface to them I have found so
far is unsatisfactory, I think.

I simply can't believe I'm the first one to have this idea. So I'm
asking you guys since you would probably know. :-)

Regards,
                Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                       <greve@gnu.org>
Free Software Foundation Europe	                 (http://fsfeurope.org)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 268 bytes --]

* Re: nnkiboze
@ 2001-01-11 15:12 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-01-11 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:

> Does nnkiboze work these days? I just tried creating a group and I
> can't get it to work.
>
> First of all it doesn't create the ~/News/kiboze directory so I had
> to create it by hand for it to continue.
>
> Second of all nnkiboze-generate-groups seems to check for new news
> which updates each of my imap groups even though none of them match
> the regexp.  That's really really annoying.
>
> Thirdly, it says "No gnus is bad news" and the kiboze newsrc appears
> to contain no groups even though the regexp should match two groups,
> one of which is definitely known because it's subscribed. And I'm
> pretty certain the score file should match some articles.

nnkiboze in Gnus 5.8.8 or oGnus CVS version may work.

ShengHuo

* nnkiboze
@ 2001-01-11 15:00 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 2001-01-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-03-18  0:29 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-03-18  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can nnkiboze be aimed at nnml: or groups other than nntp?

I have been experimenting with it and was under the impression you could
use it against any of your groups.

So far I haven't really gotten it to work at all.

Trying something simple I have:

1)used G k to start the process
2)inserted name 'Kibo'
3inserted group regexp
Here I tried quite a few different things trying to figure out what gnus
really wants here, one of these last two should be formatted right.

^gnu\.emacs\.gnus$\|^gnu\.emacs\.help$
^gnu\\.emacs\\.gnus$  . ..  etc

Also tried with and with out the $ sign

Gnus askes
Match header: from <RET>
Match (from)string:  Harry Putnam (also tried:
.*reader@newsguy.com)

Two more seletions are offered, to which I just hit <RET>

Then M-x nnkiboze-generate-groups <RET>
Gnus reads nntp list goes through the groups but no messages are
delivered.

I tried variations of the above with parts of score files know to work
etc.  None of my experiments has resulted in a single message showing
up.

Also, where is the file that contains the regexp you input to describe
the groups that make up the 'kiboze' group.  A few times Gnus complained
about my regexp, I could not find it in any file in 'News' to edit it,
so until I finally figured out what gnus wanted I just had to start from
scratch each time.  The score file is in the normal place but where oh
where does the regexp defining the group go.