* trouble with gnus-define-group-parameter
@ 2003-03-10 18:19 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-03-10 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm defining these two group parameters:

  (gnus-define-group-parameter
   ham-marks
   :parameter-type '(choice :tag "Ham marks"
			    :value nil
			    (list :tag "Ham mark choices"
				  (set
				   (variable-item gnus-del-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-read-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-killed-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-kill-file-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-low-score-mark))))

   :parameter-document
   "Marks considered ham (positively not spam).  Such articles will be
processed as ham (non-spam) on group exit.  When nil, the global
spam-ham-marks variable takes precedence.")

  (gnus-define-group-parameter
   spam-marks
   :parameter-type '(choice :tag "Spam marks"
			    :value nil
			    (list :tag "Spam mark choices"
				  (set
				   (variable-item gnus-spam-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-killed-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-kill-file-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-low-score-mark))))

   :parameter-document
   "Marks considered spam.
Such articles will be processed as spam on group exit.  When nil, the global
spam-spam-marks variable takes precedence."))

I can customize the parameter just fine, but then

(gnus-parameter-ham-marks gnus-newsgroup-name)

returns nil no matter what.  Anyone with a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: trouble with gnus-define-group-parameter
@ 2003-03-11 20:25 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-03-11 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I'm defining these two group parameters:
>
>   (gnus-define-group-parameter
>    ham-marks
>    :parameter-type '(choice :tag "Ham marks"
> 			    :value nil
> 			    (list :tag "Ham mark choices"
> 				  (set
> 				   (variable-item gnus-del-mark)
> 				   (variable-item gnus-read-mark)
> 				   (variable-item gnus-killed-mark)
> 				   (variable-item gnus-kill-file-mark)
> 				   (variable-item gnus-low-score-mark))))
>
>    :parameter-document
>    "Marks considered ham (positively not spam).  Such articles will be
> processed as ham (non-spam) on group exit.  When nil, the global
> spam-ham-marks variable takes precedence.")
>
>   (gnus-define-group-parameter
>    spam-marks
>    :parameter-type '(choice :tag "Spam marks"
> 			    :value nil
> 			    (list :tag "Spam mark choices"
> 				  (set
> 				   (variable-item gnus-spam-mark)
> 				   (variable-item gnus-killed-mark)
> 				   (variable-item gnus-kill-file-mark)
> 				   (variable-item gnus-low-score-mark))))
>
>    :parameter-document
>    "Marks considered spam.
> Such articles will be processed as spam on group exit.  When nil, the global
> spam-spam-marks variable takes precedence."))
>
> I can customize the parameter just fine, but then
>
> (gnus-parameter-ham-marks gnus-newsgroup-name)
>
> returns nil no matter what.  Anyone with a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Not really.  The gnus-define-group-parameter macro expanded to include
this definition for ham-marks.  Perhaps you can eval it then step
through it with the debugger.

(defun gnus-parameter-ham-marks (name)
  ""
  (and name
       (or (gnus-group-find-parameter name (quote ham-marks) nil)
           (let ((alist gnus-parameter-ham-marks-alist) elem value)
             (while (setq elem (pop alist))
               (when (and name (string-match (car elem) name))
                 (setq alist nil value (cdr elem))))
             (if (consp value)
                 (car value)
               value)))))

Kevin

* Re: trouble with gnus-define-group-parameter
@ 2003-03-19 22:55   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-03-19 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:
> Not really.  The gnus-define-group-parameter macro expanded to
> include this definition for ham-marks.  Perhaps you can eval it then
> step through it with the debugger.
>
> (defun gnus-parameter-ham-marks (name)
>   ""
>   (and name
>        (or (gnus-group-find-parameter name (quote ham-marks) nil)
>            (let ((alist gnus-parameter-ham-marks-alist) elem value)
>              (while (setq elem (pop alist))
>                (when (and name (string-match (car elem) name))
>                  (setq alist nil value (cdr elem))))
>              (if (consp value)
>                  (car value)
>                value)))))

Out of curiosity, how did you obtain this macro expansion?

The problem is this line:

>        (or (gnus-group-find-parameter name (quote ham-marks) nil)

The allow-list parameter is nil.  When it's t, I get the parameter
correctly.  I was not setting the :type parameter to 'list.  But it
had worked just fine for all my previous parameter definitions.
Puzzling.

I think I have things working, I'll do a commit with the fixed and
revised code.

@ 2003-03-20  4:11     ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-03-20  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:
>> Not really.  The gnus-define-group-parameter macro expanded to
>> include this definition for ham-marks.  Perhaps you can eval it then
>> step through it with the debugger.
>>
>> (defun gnus-parameter-ham-marks (name)
>>   ""
>>   (and name
>>        (or (gnus-group-find-parameter name (quote ham-marks) nil)
>>            (let ((alist gnus-parameter-ham-marks-alist) elem value)
>>              (while (setq elem (pop alist))
>>                (when (and name (string-match (car elem) name))
>>                  (setq alist nil value (cdr elem))))
>>              (if (consp value)
>>                  (car value)
>>                value)))))
>
> Out of curiosity, how did you obtain this macro expansion?

Well, I'm sure that there is a better way but...

I eval'd this:

(progn (debug)
  (gnus-define-group-parameter
   ham-marks
   :parameter-type '(choice :tag "Ham marks"
			    :value nil
			    (list :tag "Ham mark choices"
				  (set
				   (variable-item gnus-del-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-read-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-killed-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-kill-file-mark)
				   (variable-item gnus-low-score-mark))))

   :parameter-document
   "Marks considered ham (positively not spam).  Such articles will be
processed as ham (non-spam) on group exit.  When nil, the global
spam-ham-marks variable takes precedence."))

If you step over the macro expansion, you see a return value that is
the expanded form.  Normally, that gets executed so it is hidden.
Since you're in the debugger, you can cut-and-paste it to another
buffer for detailed reflection.

> The problem is this line:
>
>>        (or (gnus-group-find-parameter name (quote ham-marks) nil)
>
> The allow-list parameter is nil.  When it's t, I get the parameter
> correctly.  I was not setting the :type parameter to 'list.  But it
> had worked just fine for all my previous parameter definitions.
> Puzzling.
>
> I think I have things working, I'll do a commit with the fixed and
> revised code.

Glad to see it working.

Kevin

* Re: trouble with gnus-define-group-parameter
@ 2003-03-20  4:45       ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-03-20  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> Out of curiosity, how did you obtain this macro expansion?
>
> Well, I'm sure that there is a better way but...

The better way is `macroexpand' :-) And optionally `pp' to prettyprint
it as well.  E.g.

(pp (macroexpand
     '(gnus-define-group-parameter
     [...])))