* GNATS backend?
@ 2002-01-10 10:37 Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-01-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

BTW - Gnus do not have bug tracking system. You know, gnus.gnus-bug is
good, but what about using GNATS?

But why I'm writing? Is there anyone who has the time to write nngnats
backend? I think it is doable :-)
--
Pavel Janík

Let the data structure the program.
                  --  The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)

* Re: GNATS backend?
@ 2002-01-12  6:08 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-01-12  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel> But why I'm writing? Is there anyone who has the time to write nngnats
Pavel> backend? I think it is doable :-)

I've wanted a nnsourceforge backend as well ;-)

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: GNATS backend?
@ 2002-01-12  6:49   ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2002-01-12  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "WH" == Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

  WH> I've wanted a nnsourceforge backend as well ;-)

As someone who maintains a project on SF (and is on a couple of
others), you've got my interest.

What features do you envisage nnsourceforge having?

And if I were to write such a backend (God knows when I'd be able to
find the time, but you never know), is there any reference material
for writing backends?  Or should I just dig through nn*.el?

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |

* Re: GNATS backend?
@ 2002-01-12 10:03     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-12 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:

> And if I were to write such a backend (God knows when I'd be able to
> find the time, but you never know), is there any reference material
> for writing backends?  Or should I just dig through nn*.el?

There is some doc on nnchoke.  But I'm afraid you'll have to look at
existing backends to see how some things are done.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: GNATS backend?
@ 2002-01-14 18:22     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-01-14 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

SY> As someone who maintains a project on SF (and is on a couple of
SY> others), you've got my interest.

Yep.  ;-)  I maintain one as well and hence my reason for wanting
something in gnus.

SY> What features do you envisage nnsourceforge having?

I want something to interact with the tracking databases.  I hate the
web interface and would love something that would let me:

Enter the group: download the current bug (say) list and display as a
   summary buffer.  A different article would be shown for the various
   reply sections within a bug report
Reply: respond to a bug request by posting the response back.
Update the various marks:
  (I'm not sure the best way to do this within gnus.  Many
  alternatives exist, like editing text field inserted into the
  message, or headers, or...)  Closing the request, "won't fix",
  "accepted", "fixed", etc.
Some gnus functions can be used to update marks in some ways as they
seem to map right in line:
  Expire: mark the item as "pending"
  Delete: delete it.

@ 2002-01-15  8:50       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-15  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus List

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

>   Expire: mark the item as "pending"

How about making dormant do this?  The semantics of dormant are very
close to pending.

kai

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-19 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> SY> What features do you envisage nnsourceforge having?
>
> I want something to interact with the tracking databases.

That sounds quite useful.

> I hate the web interface and would love something that would let me:
>
> Enter the group: download the current bug (say) list and display as a
>    summary buffer.  A different article would be shown for the various
>    reply sections within a bug report
> Reply: respond to a bug request by posting the response back.
> Update the various marks:
>   (I'm not sure the best way to do this within gnus.  Many
>   alternatives exist, like editing text field inserted into the
>   message, or headers, or...)  Closing the request, "won't fix",
>   "accepted", "fixed", etc.
> Some gnus functions can be used to update marks in some ways as they
> seem to map right in line:
>   Expire: mark the item as "pending"
>   Delete: delete it.

I think this could be mapped over from article marks pretty easily.

Does Savannah use a similar interface to the tracking database as
Sourceforge does?  Then Emacs should definitely have an interface to
these databases.

* Re: GNATS backend?
@ 2002-01-25 16:17         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-01-25 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus List

Kai> Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:
>> Expire: mark the item as "pending"

Kai> How about making dormant do this?  The semantics of dormant are very
Kai> close to pending.

That'd work.  Though pending actually gets them deleted in 14 days or
so, which dormant doesn't do.  Reusing marks, though, would be a win.

--

@ 2002-01-25 16:20         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2002-01-25 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:
SY> What features do you envisage nnsourceforge having?
>>
>> I want something to interact with the tracking databases.

Lars> That sounds quite useful.

Yep!

Lars> I think this could be mapped over from article marks pretty
Lars> easily.

Agreed.  Mostly.  There will be some "hacking".  My actually thought
on marks is that gnus should be somewhat extensible and should support
other marks which are backend specific.

Lars> Does Savannah use a similar interface to the tracking database
Lars> as Sourceforge does?  Then Emacs should definitely have an
Lars> interface to these databases.

Savannah is similar, but of course is not the same.  There are other
bug database types as well (samba has one called "jitterbug" that a
fair number of sites use).
--

@ 2002-01-26 22:55           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-26 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> Lars> I think this could be mapped over from article marks pretty
> Lars> easily.
>
> Agreed.  Mostly.  There will be some "hacking".  My actually thought
> on marks is that gnus should be somewhat extensible and should support
> other marks which are backend specific.

Yes, probably...

* Re: GNATS backend?
@ 2002-01-27  0:01             ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-01-27  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:
>
>> Lars> I think this could be mapped over from article marks pretty
>> Lars> easily.
>>
>> Agreed. Mostly. There will be some "hacking". My actually thought on
>> marks is that gnus should be somewhat extensible and should support
>> other marks which are backend specific.
>
> Yes, probably...

Is it worth noting that I just found:

] dlocate gnus-BTS.el
debbugs-el: /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debbugs-el/gnus-BTS.el

(the bit before the colon is the Debian package name :)

This seems to be an interface to the Debian bug tracking system for
Gnus. Maybe it's a good source of inspiration and so forth?

        Daniel

--
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.