From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: [nnir] WIBNI
Date: 22 Dec 1999 17:18:36 -0800	[thread overview]

> > Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >
> > > Well, you can manually change nnir-mail-backend; that's rather easy.
> > > But there is no user-interface for this, yet.
> > >
> > > You could do (setq nnir-mail-backend (nth X
> > > gnus-secondary-select-methods)) for various small numbers X if all
> > > your servers are secondary, as opposed to foreign.
> >
> > What are you talking about above?  Can you spell it out a bit more?
>
> If you had both servers in gnus-secondary-select-methods, you could
> have said
>
>     M-: (setq nnir-mail-backend (nth 0 gnus-secondary-select-methods)) RET
>
> to search the first one, and a similar line with 1 instead of 0 to
> search the second one.
>
> > However the server in question is listed in server buffer, an `e'
> > shows:
> >
> > (nnml "n2m"
> >       (nnml-directory "/mnt/pack/n2m/")
> >       (nnml-active-file "/mnt/pack/n2m/active"))
> >
> > If I happen to respool messages by nnml backend, gnus prompts me for
> > which nnml server I want.  I hoped to do something similar with nnir.
>
> Well, it appears that gnus-opened-servers contains a list of all open
> servers, so, hum.
>
> Does the following do the trick (with M-:)?
>
> (setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 0 gnus-opened-servers)))
>
> Also try 1, 2 and so on instead of 0.
>
> Like I said, it must be done manually right now, and I intend to add a
> feature to nnir such that you can search several servers, but I
> haven't been able to do it, yet.  I think it is more involved than
> what is shown above.  For example, in addition to nnir-mail-backend
> you need to set other variables, eg nnir-glimpse-home and so on.

It doesn't seem to be working for me:
I've set `glimpse-home' as below:

(setq nnir-glimpse-home "/home/reader/.glimpse-n2m")

I hit the right server (from your suggestions) as below:

(setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 5 gnus-opened-servers)))
returns:
(nnml "n2m" (nnml-directory "/mnt/pack/n2m/") (nnml-active-file
"/mnt/pack/n2m/active"))

and finally resetting:

`nnir-glimpse-remove-prefix'
M-: (setq nnir-glimpse-remove-prefix "/mnt/pack/n2m")

And by jove, it all worked.

Just looking at what was returned when I evaled:
(setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 5 gnus-opened-servers)))

It appears that at least 2 of the pieces of information that nnir
needs, to search a different server, are in that return.

Seems that nnir could be made to snarf it up by prompting the user for
a server name, then scanning that list for a match, slurping up the
strip prefix and name as it goes.

All thats missing in that picture is  the proper glimpseindex
directory.

Maybe if nnir required the user to name the glimpse indexs after
server names it could find the right one by the information included in:
(nnml "n2m" (nnml-directory "/mnt/pack/n2m/") (nnml-active-file
"/mnt/pack/n2m/active"))

Or when prompting the user for server name.
Completion could be used against that list to help the user get the
name right.

Or possibly nnir could be made to manage the glimpseindexing part too,
and would retain the directory/server  names.

Prompt:  What server would you like to index today:    <n2m><RET>
<nnir scans the list of servers, finds the name and calls glimpse to
index those files>
Prompt: indexing n2m .glimpse_FILES written to ~/.glimpse-SERVERNAME