From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: [nnir] WIBNI
Date: 23 Dec 1999 04:30:25 -0800	[thread overview]

> > Just looking at what was returned when I evaled:
> > (setq nnir-mail-backend (car (nth 5 gnus-opened-servers)))
> >
> > It appears that at least 2 of the pieces of information that nnir
> > needs, to search a different server, are in that return.
> >
> > Seems that nnir could be made to snarf it up by prompting the user for
> > a server name, then scanning that list for a match, slurping up the
> > strip prefix and name as it goes.
> >
> > All thats missing in that picture is  the proper glimpseindex
> > directory.
>
> Yes, a lot of the necessary information seems to be in the server
> parameters.  Hm.  I think the best approach would be to add the other
> nnir information to the server parameters, too, such that you can edit
> a server then add a parameter `nnir-glimpse-home' or somesuch which
> points to the right directory.
>
> I have now added this to the todo list.

Well many servers do not allow editing.  The one in reference does
because I hand made that one, but the main originall nnml server does
not.  However that info seems to be available in
`gnus-opened-servers',

Would making nnir scan `gnus-opened-servers'  be cumbersom or
unwieldy? or just plain not smart.

Does having nnir manage the indexing part for glimpse or wais, and
naming the indexes after servers sound too crazy or programatically unsound?