From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Making notes in a newsgroup
Date: 01 Oct 1998 12:38:20 -0700	[thread overview]

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> Sometimes I wish to make some notes to myself on or next to an article.
> Does Gnus support this?  Maybe cache the article and edit the cache
> copy?  And/or create a fake followup from myself in the cache?  The
> latter might also be useful so I can type part of a followup-to-be and
> have it visible in the newsgroup and thread, instead of the drafts folder.
> Or maybe the newsgroup cache would *be* the drafts folder for that group?

Having studied on this some, I don't believe gnus supports allowing
edited posts in the newsgroup itself.  However any Newsgroup post can
be edited just like a mail message if you prefix the 'e' (edit)
command with C-u .  Then you can edit but not save it back to the
group in NNTP groups.  Must save it somewhere else.

I have some code worked out that makes it fairly handy to do.  (lots
of help form Kai G)  Although its rough spots are thoroughly my doing.

If you want this sent privately. I will.  Or even post it here as it
is fairly brief.  But not smooth and professionsal.

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1